1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian and gay couples will kiss in front of the Pope

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://thereader.es/en/spain-news-s...y-couples-will-kiss-in-front-of-the-Pope.html

2. RaRa

And I wish I could join them. :slight_smile:

3. Emberstone

it is the catholic church... they are fairly used to males kissing/groping males...

4. Blondie

Blondie Guest

and look at all its caused i still hope they do it

5. Jay

Jay

Well that's sad. Kissing in front of the Pope won't do good, the Catholic Church will then have another reason to believe why homosexuality is wrong. Is like when you're young and you want to drive, and you keep rubbing that to your parent's face. You'll get kicked in the butt and shut down until you're "big enough". Well they will be like "We will accept you until you're 'straight' enough".

6. Rikudo

Oh that's nasty.
    [​IMG]

7. Charme

Charme Guest

Yea cuz they don't already have all of them reasons written down.

8. Beachboi92

yeah but only incidents where there is at least a 25-30 year age gap

9. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is a minority with problems. I've known some very good priests.

I'm sick and tired of this running joke about pedophile catholics. People think it's funny but it's basically insulting hate speech and is incredibly inappropriate anywhere. It's just as bad as someone making fun of you because you are gay. It's worse because this is a forum that is supposed to be promoting acceptance.

I may not currently practice any religion, but I was raised Catholic and it still holds a very special place in my heart. Seeing my former religion being insulted by ignorant people who think they are being funny is not a pleasant experience and I expected better from people around here.

#9 Leon481, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  10. Eric

THIS.

Anyway, it seems like it's going to be a peaceful demonstration. Hopefully it stays that way and no one decides to ransack the Vatican. :\

11. Miss Bubbles

i hope they are safe on this little "war path". I would gladly join them any day.

12. booby

I have to agree with this .. i still love my religion (i practice it when i can , it's interesting and beautiful, and i know God loves everyone as long as they lead good lives :slight_smile: )

13. Emberstone

Wasent making a joke, merely pointed out that the catholic church has a problem of hypocracy and immorality they still wont properly deal with. this has been out in the open for decades, and yet they still just move priest around, not telling parishes why the priest was relocated. They still claim infallability.

14. Elven

It may have leadership problems but I wouldn't say the entire faith is corrupt, just some of those who are in charge which is becoming more noticible. They're too proud to confess their faults and mistakes which may one day be their downfall but at the moment the pope's leadership is still fairly stong so the least we can do is try and make a point.

Good luck to them!

15. Bevo

That's fair enough, but it certainly isn't a minority, there are mountains of evidence linking to endemic abuse committed by those within the church, particularly in regards to the catholic church. And what did the pope do? He called it idle gossip and continued the age old program of church-based cover-ups and not punishing offenders or those charged with offences...not very 'christian' in my book.

You find it offensive? Well good, I'm glad you have that opinion and you are perfectly entitled to it, but please recognise that others, like myself, have other opinions of that church. Including many who have experienced or know people who have experienced the kind of ignorance and abuse the church, like it or loathe it, represents. Somehow saying that it is unjustified is gross 'ignorance' on your part.

#15 Bevo, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  16. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It wasn't really aimed at you. Even though you could have made your point better, I got the message. I would have called you on it immediately if I had been offended. I was more annoyed at the people who used your comment as a springboard to joke around and make gross generalizations just to be funny, not to make a point.

I never said it was unjustified. There is plenty wrong with the church leadership and I'm open to discuss that. Remember, I stopped going to that church for a reason too.

The problem I have is with people who crack jokes and make sweeping generalizations as a way to be funny or insulting. It's not making a point, it's not an argument about the church's flaws, it's just rude and ultimately will do nothing but insult people. I have no problem with a thoughtful argument or people who express their opinions. I just have a problem with jokers and trolls who are just trying to get a rise out of people.

17. Lebowski45

I totally agree. It's extremely disappointing reading some of the comments I read on here that basically ridicule religion. It's extremely hypocritical considering everyone on here seeks tolerance and acceptance over their sexuality, and yet some offer just the opposite in relation to other aspects of life such as religion.

I'm sick of people making their sly and ignorant jokes about the Pope and the Catholic Church, amongst others, because you could easily replace these comments with homophobic remarks and see the same result ensue. Intolerance is intolerance, ignorance is ignorance, hate is hate, and prejudice is prejudice, whether it's over sexuality, religion, race or whatever. It's wrong, and I thought everyone on here would understand that, yet some seem to fall into the trap of those who weould oppress them.

I'm a Catholic and while I have many issues with the Church leadership, I still practice and I still see the many good things that the Church does. A lot of priests are genuniely great people who offer help and support to their communities. So when

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2010 at 11:04 PM ----------

I totally agree. It's extremely disappointing reading some of the comments I read on here that basically ridicule religion. It's extremely hypocritical considering everyone on here seeks tolerance and acceptance over their sexuality, and yet some offer just the opposite in relation to other aspects of life such as religion.

I'm sick of people making their sly and ignorant jokes about the Pope and the Catholic Church, amongst others, because you could easily replace these comments with homophobic remarks and see the same result ensue. Intolerance is intolerance, ignorance is ignorance, hate is hate, and prejudice is prejudice, whether it's over sexuality, religion, race or whatever. It's wrong, and I thought everyone on here would understand that, yet some seem to fall into the trap of those who weould oppress them.

I'm a Catholic and while I have many issues with the Church leadership, I still practice and I still see the many good things that the Church does. A lot of priests are genuniely great people who offer help and support to their communities. So when I see people generalising all priests as paedophiles, I see people generalising gay people with every negative stereotype going. Because its the same thing. People complain of others being ignorant about their sexuality and yet are ignorant about religion, it frustrates me.

Sorry for the rant but I had to get this off my chest, I might've had a few drinks but reading some of these comments make me angry. Its complete ignorance, just like homophobia. I'm not criticising people who have issues with religion and put these sentiments into reasoned and sensible debate, I'm criticising those who make insensitive and ignorant remarks about it. Blaaaaahhhhhhh, I'm done.

18. ANightDude

THIS. THIS. THIS.
    One of the main faults in the members of this site is the fact that they preach acceptance but don't practice it. Acceptance is much more than people accepting you. If you want equality, if you want to be seen in a positive light, you have to show it even to the people who don't do it back. MLK had the same approach.

As for the couples in front of the Pope... I'm sorry, but this a stupid, stupid idea. That's like going in front of the KKK and having a black and white inter-racial jewish couple kiss (though their reaction might be a bit more violent). YOU DON'T ADD FLAMES TO THE FIRE.

Here is how I see it: I don't want a church or anyone in general shoving their beliefs down my throat. If I don't like someone praying because I think it's wrong or against my beliefs, I don't want them to kneel down and do it in front of me simply to piss me off, which is exactly what these people are doing. It's going to contribute more of a setback for gays and the Church, who's relations are slowly improving with each passing decade. Don't whine and moan about the fact "things aren't happening fast enough". Be happy that the next generation won't have it as tough as we do. That is the main issue with the gay community, we think it's all about ourselves. OUR rights, individually. Why Civil Rights and the Women's Rights movements were so successful were because they had leaders who thought of the whole, not of the individual (Harvey Milk was our only real leader who did it right).

Simply put: It's a stupid idea.
    Done preaching.

19. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anyway, back on topic.

I second the adding the fuel to the fire argument. There is a chance that this could backfire and cause more trouble.

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love it when people thinking closing the group means it will stop it. IT just fuels the fire :grin: