1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Voters Angry At Democrats Could Sway Election

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130791382

2. Emberstone

read this earlier... not going to comment on people who choose to vote third party/republican to send a message to the democrats... but, to those who choose to sit out this election, and not vote: SHUT UP COMPLAIGNING IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT IS BEING DONE/ACCOMPLISHED AFTER THIS ELECTION! you had your chance to make your voice heard, and if your just going to sit it out, complain about yourself first. dont want to participate in our democracy, then you should just keep quiet when you dont like how things go.

sorry... I just get tired of people who make a conciouse choice not to vote, then complain about everything they could have used their vote to gain a voice about.

3. RedState

>>>Gay voters angry at Democrats.
    haha...got news for you...they aren't the only ones.

A third party cannot obviously win a major election (although if I lived in New York I would vote for the Rent is Too Damn High Party)

It all depends on how organized the movement is. The only significant time they have influenced an election was in 1992. Ross Perot was the sole reason why Bill Clinton defeated George Bush.

4. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. Completely and fully.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I have my issues with how the democrats have handled some things so far, especially with LGBT rights. And I'll gladly call them out on their crap. But seriously, every time I get upset with how more and more batshit politics are getting in this country, I just think of how things are going now, and who I'm better off voting for. I'd rather not just sit out and give an easy ticket for the other side regain control, because, come on, we all know how faithful the right is when it comes to regular voting-- the democrats have their issues that they need to deal with, but about 99% of the folks who are in any kind of power the other side are all about taking any rights away from us. Especially something like DADT. And most aren't willing to make a decent effort work with the left either.

Come hell or high water, I'll be at the polls this November.

5. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anybody remember the movie "Brewster's Millions"? During the course of the movie, Richard Pryor's character, in his quest to spend 30 million dollars in 30 days, starts a massive political campaign calling for everyone to vote "None of the Above" in the current election. In the end, it worked and a new election had to be held with the old candidates disqualified from running.

The point is, I have no issue if someone is so tired of the current politicians that they don't want to vote for either as long as they do something. Vote none of the above, write in a candidate, volunteer your time to spread information showing both candidates are corrupt. Just don't give up completely. You never know what may make a difference.

6. Johnnieguy

Third parties can never win major elections? Um.. Jesse Ventura.

7. RedState

Ahhh yes....I forgot about that.

I will rephrase that: It was extremely rare for a third party to win a major election.

8. Miss Bubbles

Well thats only because they don't get enough funding for their campaign and people don't generally know that there are third parties until they get to the polls. Plus They can't afford the big commercial campaigns others can. Their ability to raise money for their campaign is horrendous but only because people don't choose to recognize them as actual candidates.

9. Emberstone

most third partiers tend to be far left, or far right to a point that they are so way outside of the mainstream of either parties that it is hard to get people to agree with the more out there views. You really do not see alot of moderate/centerist third party cannidates... it happens, but it is rare.

10. RedState

>>>Most third partiers tend to be far left...way outside the mainstream....you don't see alot of moderate/centrist thrid party candidates.

Well, I think you would make a great third party candidate then! You should run for something...like a road commissioner or something.

Haha...just kidding. I couldn't resist :wink:

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The US voting system really needs to allow for preferential voting. At least that way it would ALLOW for usefulness and viability, at a federal level, of minor parties in elections. In Australia we're currently in a minority government, being run by a mixture of the major centre-left party, a few independents, and a greens member. In germany they have had an even smaller minority government on and off for decades. It prevents stagnation.

12. RedState

It would be interesting to see what the Government here would look like with that electoral structure. It certainly does give third parties a better shot.

But, a ballot like that would confuse the hell out of people in Palm Beach County though.

13. Emberstone

well it is looking that the republican party will be losing their party status in colorado... the republican is projected to only get 8-9% of the vote, and to get state party status in colorado, you have to get 10%+ of the vote in that particular electoral post, which i think is senete. tancrido is at 37% i heard, so if he maintains that, his party will take the spot, and republicans will be the third party in the next election. of course, the interesting thing is that if the republican canidate eeks 10%, there will be three parties, with no one having outside/third party status.