1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why You're Gay: A New Study Shows Why Boy Rats Like Other Boy Rats

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/...y-boy-rats-like-other-boy-rats/#ixzz136VHc49X

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Interesting. Very interesting.

(I knew I was gay before I had any sisters because all my sisters are the result of marriage)

But still very interesting. :grin:

3. Miss Bubbles

I don't have nay sisters but i grew up around my aunts and grandmothers and my ma. I almost never left their sides lol does that count?

4. Holmes

No, because I think they're talking about genetics, not environment.

But doesn't this go against the older brother phenomenon, which doesn't apply in my case as an eldest, but is still one of the more reliable indicators in the population at large? That having brothers means that there'll be less testosterone around in the mother's womb, making a younger boy more likely to be gay (roughly speaking)?

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Testosterone is the precursor to estrogen. Through a process called aromatization, testosterone is converted to estrogen. It's been shown that a mother's body has a "memory" of sorts of the testosterone used to masculinize male fetuses and with each successive male, the testosterone amount left over in the "memory" is greater and that means that theres more testosterone around to aromatize into estrogen and to feminize the most current male's brain. That's one of the theories to explain the "multiple males siblings before you = you more likely to be gay" situation.

6. Beachboi92

i personally thought this article was poorly written, a lot of interjection of opinion. Also how the fuck do they decipher what "psychological" variables are at play in rats sexuality from that experiment....

The article itself explains the experiment very poorly and there could be tons of other factors at play. Not to mention not mounting female rats is not equivalent to wanting to mount male ones. There are so many variables that are left un-observed or explained and the authors opinion seems so blatant when viewing what is supposed to be an objective study that i honestly wouldn't view this article as worthy of being published. My younger brother could write a better one for gods sakes.

7. MoiMoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It appears that just the abstract for the actual paper contains more useful information about the study than that entire Time article. I swear, newspapers and magazines need to start hiring science writers who actually understand how to read a scientific study.

8. Blondie

Blondie Guest

Its not just rats there are other animal that go through this there were two male monkeys in a zoo and had been partners for years the zoo decided to separate them due to the way they acted to one another once this happened the one monkey that was left got very depressed when the public found out there was a row over it and the two were reunited soon after

9. starfish

That's funny. I often use a similar phrase when describing an automobile.