1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay marriage foes back push to oust Iowa justices

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/25/AR2010102503965.html

2. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :bang: Why can't they just stop? It's not even their state. It doesn't effect them directly. Why is this so important to them?

3. RedState

Why is any issue important to any group?

Because they feel a passion towards it and they will do what they can to advocate their cause...it doesn't matter if it is in Birmingham, Washington, or in the middle of nowhere Iowa.

it is not unusual for out of state groups to get involved in local elections. Take for example The Club for Growth. It is, by all accounts, a national organization that mainly concentrates on Federal House and Senate races...but they also contribute to local races (on the state legislative level) as well. They are a very conservative group, so they naturally back like minded candidates.

Emily's List is the same...it is a national PAC that mainly contributes to Democratic Congressional campaigns, yet they also get involved on local levels as well.

Just part of the process.

4. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm aware it's part of the process, I'll just never understand the mentality behind it. Oppressing gay people does no one any good. If they put this much energy and attention into causes that actually mattered this country would be in far better shape.

5. RedState

Well, for whatever reason it matters to them.

I don't understand the mentality of a lot of the left-wing kook groups out there and believe their energy would be much better served on other causes....although I do get a laugh whenever I see them protest. But it is what it is.

I agree with you...if they would put their action behind things that do actually carry some actual meaning to the future of the country...say fiscal policy...we would be in far better shape.

I know that I am in the vast minority within the gay community, but the whole social agenda and gay marriage just isn't at the top of my priority list. While social issues will always be a part of politics, I just simply think there are more pressing issues we need to deal with right now....like how we are going to deal with the potential inflationary problems caused by the couple trillion dollars we recently cranked out of the printing presses in Washington.

As I see it, until we get our fiscal house in order, everything else comes secondary. If all these groups that are so concerned about two men or women getting married would focus their time, money, and energy on THAT...we may actually get somewhere.

#5 RedState, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually agree that economical concerns should be first priority. There are more than just gay people in this country and many of them are in trouble because of the state of the economy.

Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that, as long as people are fighting to take away more rights from us, we can't stop fighting otherwise things could take a massive step backwards. Unless both sides agree to a truce (not likely), it's going to keep going on until there is a clear winner.

7. Nodnarb

Their stupid "Judgebus" is going to be driving through my hometown:tantrum: Luckily they aren't holding a rally there, but they are in the next town over. I noticed that most of their campaign is focused on the west side of the state (where I'm from, unfortunately). Their message isn't as well received out east.