1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early Numbers: Iowa Supreme Court Judges Lacking Votes to Stay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just thought you guys should know that Iowa may eventually reject gay marriage once more depending on what happens in the next couple hours. (Please note I'm probably wrong about how the whole thing with gay marriage works, but I'm just saying that if they're ousted, Iowa may change once more.....)

2. Nodnarb

No, no, no. These good justices are going to lose their jobs, but the ruling will still stand. It's like a four year old throwing a temper-tamtrum after their parents don't buy them candy. They don't accomplish anything other than making a scene.

Unfortunately, it looks like Republicans are poised to take control of the Iowa House and get a 25/25 split in the Senate, with a GOP governor. Which means we'll most likely have a constitutional amendment on the ballot in a few years to try to ban same-sex marriage. I didn't think it was possible for the Republicans to win enough seats to get the state assembly back. Guess I was wrong.

But it will remain legal for at least the next four years, regardless of what happens to the judges.

3. Nodnarb

An update on that last post...Democrats actually maintained control of the State Senate; 27-23. It will be an interesting fight. I don't know if Majority Leader Gronstal will be able to hold 27 or even just 26 of them in line on this.

4. Emberstone

when you dont like the constitution because there are american citizens you hate, and want to try to legitimize that hate... CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION... thats the consevative way. conserve the constitution until it does something that doesnt grant you "conking ruler of the universe" status over others, then blow a hissy fit.

the judicial justices, two which were conservatives appointed by conservative goveners, did what they were suposed to do. they upheld the requirement of equal protection from the federal constitution, and overturned a unconstitutional ammendement.

they didnt do it because they were liberal judges *two were not*, they did it because they are bound to the constitution and its dictations... not the rantings of a bunch of wife-beating assholes.

5. Nodnarb

:lol:

A scenario currently being tossed around; the incumbent governor (Democrat Chet Culver) lost last night, but he has an opportunity to appoint replacement judges during the lame-duck period before the new governor takes over. He could (in theory) reappoint the same judges that just got voted out. That would be perfect. I can just imagine Maggie Gallagher's head exploding:roflmao:

6. ANightDude

Yup. CNN apparently confirmed that they're out. Bloody Iowa (voters).

7. Emberstone

or you can just say 'Rhegallag Eiggam', and that should do the trick... or force her into a parallel demension.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rhegallag Eiggam would probably work.

9. Nodnarb

An interesting map from the Des Moines Register of how the vote went by county:

[​IMG]

Unsurprisingly, most of the urban areas (except for Council Bluffs [Pottawattamie County] and Sioux City [Woodbury County], again unsurprisingly) voted for retention while rural areas voted against. The East also continues to be much more liberal than my home on the West side of the state. I'm not sure how accurate this is, because I looked for the official results from the county I'm originally from (Mills), and they were around 62% against retention (fuck you everybody back home), while this map indicates Mills was less than 60% "no". The four counties in the northwest corner of the state continue to be home to the most crazy far-right social conservatives anywhere in the country, with over 70% voting against retention.

I'm proud of my current county (Story County) for being one of the nine to vote "yes" on all four:slight_smile:.

EDIT: Just looked up the official results for Story County, and it was only 55% in favor of retention. In a county dominated by a college town, that is really unfortunate. I think it's evidence that this was mostly because of the GOP wave this year, and not the true opinion of an actual majority of Iowans. Meanwhile, our rivals over at the University of Iowa in Johnson County voted over 68% "yes".

#9 Nodnarb, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010