1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Objects to Teen's Shirt

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/School_Objects_to_Teens_Shirt_106664378.html

2. Walolas

Here I would think it would provide a good discussion starter in political science class or some english class where dem edgumacated ppls use dem big words...

Seriously its a shirt. If it doesnt have pictures of naked ppl on em I dont see why they cant be allowed to say ALMOST anything.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Didn't we already go through this with that kid's "I love Lady Gay gay" shirt? Whenever the word gay is presented in a positive light school officials have like a meltdown. It's getting really old really fast.

4. Emberstone

the problem here is that the dress code oversteps bounds. it gives it up to administrators to decide, student by student, where the line is.

having dealt with alot of bad administrators, I can assure you, administrators tend to play favorates with students. I have been on both sides of that, and both sides are wrong.

If the school district had a rule that said in the public school systems, any clothing that advertises and imposes a political or religious message is not allowed, that would be one thing... I would not agree with it, but it would be a solid rule.

leaving it up to the administrators is a bad idea.

There was nothing wrong with the shirt... and the administrators reaction to it is a reflecting of the administrator, not the shirt.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I have that shirt.

The only thing that a faculty member said (it was actually my English teacher) she said, "Oh, is that shirt for gay marraige?" I replied "Yep!" She said "Well good for you!"

I got a bunch of compliments for it.

Anyways, this school will obviously be facing legal issues in the future. It's clearly a violation of what the supreme court put into law, which says a school cannot object to a student wearing something with a political message. They said that the schools dress code broke the student's constitutional right of freedom of speech and expression. This is one of the only few times where a court has sided with the student on issues of dress code.

If I find the case I will post it. We studied it in English class so I don't have it readily available.

6. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I actually saw a similar story on their website about a boy who wore that shirt to school and got the same response. It's sad. He was angry because his shirt was considered offensive, when christian students would wear shirts that were homophobic without being considered offensive.

7. RaRa

Let's not worry about education in our schools, only what people wear.

8. Emberstone

Omgawd.... Becky Ann Is Wearing A Skort!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burn Her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Elven

That's pretty pathetic :dry:

10. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Poor girl. Makes me love how lenient my school's dress code is. My friend wore a shirt the other day with the word "bitch" on it in large, noticeable print and no teachers gave her any trouble over it.

11. peaceandlies

Ive had this problem.

My coming out (i wore a 'no one knows im a lesbian' tshirt to school) was in september. 8 teachers told me it was inappropriate for the younger ones to see. (the 13 yr olds). I was so furious. I kind of threatened to sue over discrimination, and they layed off