1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawaii positioned to pass same-sex civil unions

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/hawaii-positioned-to-pass-726736.html

2. Johnnieguy

Civil Unions are not marriage.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes they aren't, but if you did research you'd know they had gay marriage I believe a while back, but thanks to the Mormon church, they wound up banning it. So I think civil unions is the closest they can get right now...

4. Charme

Charme Guest

Hawaii was where the battle for marriage equality and DOMA started. If we get civil unions legal there, it'll get the ball rolling for same-sex marriage.

5. Jay

Jay

If it gives the same rights as marriage, then where's the problem? I think we should be celebrating instead of whining on how "it is not marriage anyways".

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Civil unions is just further discrimination, that's the problem. Calling it something else just for us separates us from everyone else. What if we called unions between two African-decent people "Africanized union" instead of marriage? Wouldn't that be viewed as racist, discriminatory, and separative? Yes. But it's better than nothing.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I see it, if "civil unions" come with all the benefits granted by marriage, I'm all for it.

"Marriage" has a ton of baggage involved with it. The entire concept is, in my mind, gummed up with things like religion, ceremony, "obey", "ball and chain" and any number of other things. But I don't think any of that is what we're after when we want gay marriage. We simply want equal protection under the law. We want the same legal recognition that straights get. If civil unions offer that, I'm completely down.

I've long maintained that we shouldn't be fighting to get married, to do things "their way". That's not what gays do. We blaze trails and come up superior ideas that straights want to copy. :slight_smile: If we do this "civil union" thing correctly, within a few years, we'll have straights complaining that they don't WANT to get married - they want an amazing "civil union" like the gays have. (!) (!)

Lex

8. Jay

Jay

I don't see people calling it "Gay Civil Unions" and you are totalizing the issue where you will only be pleased when one term is adopted to fit the union between a man and a man or a woman and a woman. As far as I know, we're fighting for the rights, not for a mere term. I don't see where is the discrimination here. People won't say "what a wonderful civil union they have", they will say "what a wonderful life they have".