1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Straight Pride' shirts become free speech fight

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20101110/news/711119792/

More here:http://www.kcchronicle.com/articles/2010/11/09/62715100/index.xml

More here:http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/huntl...-students-wear-straight-pride-shirt-to-school

2. NickT

Straight pride? Fine.

Straight-pride-because-everyone-else-is-wrong? No. Just no.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then I get to wear my "I RAPE HOMOPHOBES UNTIL THEY BLEED TO DEATH" shirt, right? I mean, first amendment and all that.

Lex

4. RaRa

Let em wear it. They're the ones who look like complete fucktards.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes because they are trying to say they''re proud to be who they are. You on the other hand are trying to say no one else has the right to be proud unless they're straight -_-.

Seriously for two seniors they sure didn't learn anything in class. They already have pride of being straight because they don't have to face discrimination. Gay people do and having gay pride is saying they are proud to be gay despite having to go through the crap of discrimination.

6. RedState

They are proud to the straight. So what? Let them wear it.

But, I do see the point about their selections of scripture to place on the back....eh that's a little over the top and an un-necessary addition. They could have gotten their point across just fine without that.

7. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I don't care if they want to wear "straight pride" shirts. Hell, whatever. If they're proud to be straight, that's fine.

What I have a problem with is the fact that the back of the shirt doesn't only say that only straight people can be proud, but it flat-out says gay people should die. Regardless of your beliefs, I think it's flat-out wrong to wear any shirt that says other people should be put to death. That's just inappropriate and disgusting.

8. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Pride is something that comes out of something you fight for and try to achieve.

I don't see what they're fighting for and trying to achieve besides stupidity.

9. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh please. The only reason they wore straight pride shirts even without the scriptures is to mock gay people saying we have no right to be proud as well if they can't wear straight pride t-shirts. It was also clearly them saying "it's better to be straight than gay" through wearing them -_- They already have straight pride because they're not discriminated against for being straight, they don't need freaking t-shirts to prove it.

11. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Calling for the death of a specific gender, race, sexual orientation or religion (etc) is where I draw the line. These people should be dealt with in an appropriate way.

I, personally, think that the term "gay pride" is unhelpful. It should be "I'm not ashamed to be gay". "Gay pride" makes no sense.

12. Emberstone

I have no problem with the words "straight pride" being on a shirt... even if it is rather amusing, since your not attacked by society for daring to be heterosexual.

where I draw the line is the fact that they quoted a passage of the bible calling for a whole community of people to be genocided.

I myself wouldnt mind getting a marketing going for shirts that say "Straight pride" on the front, and "Gay or Straight, always be proud of who you are." on the back.

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>It should be "I'm not ashamed to be gay". "Gay pride" makes no sense.

"Pride" is the opposite of shame. The whole point of gay pride is to say "I refuse to be ashamed of being gay - or even consider it."

Lex

14. RedState

So??? What if they want to wear t-shirts that say Straight Pride? Wtf is the big deal..so what? Seems to me to be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Look, I agree the passages of scripture were over the top. But, that aside, they have every right to wear "Straight Pride" "Heterosexual Pride" or "I Like Girls" T-shirts all day long. I simply fail to see what the big hissy fit is all about.

15. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

The part on the shirt about how homosexuals should be put to death is the big deal. It would be like if someone wore a shirt that said "I lynch black people because my holy text told me to!" I don't see how that kind of shirt is appropriate for a school setting (or really for any setting).

I'm sorry, but the USA has a fucked up sense of what freedom of speech entails. Here, we say you can go as far as hate speech, but as soon as you start advocating for actual harm to be done (even if it is a part of your religion), too fucking bad. You get silenced.

16. Shevanel

Any shirt saying anyone or any group should be put to death steps beyond free speech. Might as well wear your white bed sheets while we're at it.

As far regular "Straight Pride" shirts, whatever, course they can do it, but without the death wishing >_>

17. RedState

Did you not see where I said that part was over the top and un-necessary to prove their point?

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Separate corners, you two.

Lex

19. Shevanel

Also, they're just using the out of date, mistranslated, and just plain wrong bible quote from Leviticus about a man laying with another man is an abomination. That's just stupid. If they were true understanders of their faith, they wouldn't be stupid enough to believe it meant what it means, that it still pertains to today, and that Jesus would even condone such a thing in the first place.

But they're not. So they're just crazy people. Not saying crazy people aren't dangerous, because they sure can be. Just wear shirts that say if they eat shrimp they should suffer the same fate.

20. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Ah. Well, I didn't see it.

But in any case, that is the major issue I take with the shirts. Otherwise, I just dismiss people wearing Straight Pride t-shirts as douchebags. Because that's what they are. They need a lesson in heterosexual privilege, stat. The great thing about teaching someone about their inherent privileged (white, wealthy, male, heterosexual, able-bodied... the list goes on) is once they see it, they can't unsee it. And it becomes a part of how they view the world. It's unfortunate that their religion may prevent them from hearing someone out about how douchebaggy it is to flaunt their privilege.