1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight? Bent?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Moonstrike, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont tend to use the word "straight" to describe hetrosexual people because I believe that it is damaging to the LGB community.

"Straight" (hetrosexual) is also used in the term "going straight" (to cease being of a criminal persuasion) and the socially unacceptable word "bent" (homosexual) can also mean to be of a criminal or untrustworthy persuasion.

"Bent" has become socially unacceptable but "straight" is used regulary. Do you agree with me that the implications of the word "straight" and, its opposite, "bent" are harmful to acceptance of LGB people within the wider community? If so, how harmful?

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I agree with you to a point. Do I think referring to heterosexuals as straight is inherently bad? No. It's just a word and we are the ones who give it meaning. Do I think it has the potential to affect the way people perceive sexuality? Yes. At least on a subconscious level. In the same way that we use words like 'gypped' or 'dumb', they once held a meaning that was meant to be derogatory towards a certain group. As such, I think it is difficult to completely separate meanings from words.

Do I think we can do anything about it? This I'm less sure of. Changing public vocabulary is hard work. Just look at the struggles we are still facing to get people to stop using 'gay' and 'faggot'.

Essentially, I think we have bigger fights to concern ourselves with that a simple choice of words. Perhaps the term 'straight' will fall into disuse when 'bent' orientations are more normalized.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see what you mean and you both make very good points. I'm not really sure what to think of it personally, truth be told.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I dont tend to use the word "straight" to describe hetrosexual people because I believe that it is damaging to the LGB community. "Straight" (hetrosexual) is also used in the term "going straight" (to cease being of a criminal persuasion) and the socially unacceptable word "bent" (homosexual) can also mean to be of a criminal or untrustworthy persuasion.

I'm going to assume you're going to stop using the term "gay". "Gay" actually means "happy, or full of joy", and that would imply that non-homosexuals are miserable with their lot in life.

Lex

5. deep edward

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does sort of bother me a little, but I don't think it's a huge deal. It sounds worse when used in conjunction with "bent" - although "bent" isn't really used as a pejorative for "gay" in the U.S. I've only ever heard people from the U.K. say it.

6. kem

kem

In Finland, we just use 'hetero' and 'homo'. *sigh* Our language is so blunt.

7. maverick

I never hear "bent" in my region (deep southeastern U.S.). It's pretty much "straight" or "queer"...and I don't mind queer at all most of the time, because it covers so many different kinds of alternative sexualities (LGBTQ). Lots of people in my region will also say "gay" in regards to anyone who is not 100% heterosexual, even if they're talking about transgendered folks, lesbians, or anyone in-between.

"Straight" doesn't bother me in the slightest though. I don't really see it having any positive connotations in and of itself.

8. hopelesslover93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh my gammit, my language has lots of bad words for describing gay people.Actually few of them use ''gay''. Sometimes I just wish I was German,they're way too comfortable with these issues :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I see both sides..now..

Lex and Moonstrike bring up very very good points.

#9 Lady Gaga, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  10. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That argument may have stood some ground if it was the case that heterosexuals were in a persecuted minority or if heterosexuals were on the same worldwide social acceptability level as homosexuals.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Straight" could also mean "rigid" or "boring" or "prudish" which are pretty bad or judgemental things in most eyes... and so, just as "bent" could imply something derogatory (I personally find it funny), I don't use of "straight" necessarily implies anything bad about gay people.

Words have the meanings we give to them. I don't think society has intended to be derogatory to gays by choosing the word "straight"

12. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Straight and bent are words both used to describe criminals and non-criminals and hetrosexuals and homosexuals.

Straight = upstaning citizen and also hetrosexual.
    Bent = untrustworthy criminal and homosexual.

If "straight" was all by its own without "bent" ever having existed then I'd be fine. But the implications are obvious and clear to see. Historically gays have been discriminated against and the use of our language is overspill from that.

Does it actually mean those words? I mean, could you acually use "straight" interchangably with those words and people would understand you? Because that is not the case where I come from.

13. Darkwing65

I would have no problem being refereed to as bent.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be colloquial. Here, "straight" can be derogatory among people who are "in." "Oh, he doesn't party, he's totally straight." "Oh, don't invite him, he's too straight." Probably comes from "straightlaced."

What's kinda cool though, is that people who choose not to smoke, drink, or do drugs have adopted the term "straightedge" as an empowering label for themselves, sort of taking back the derogatory meaning and turning it into a positive.

15. Elven

I'd say you can interpret straight as boring or "in line", dosen't play about sort of thing, while as bent could be a deviation from the usual path, "different" or fun. To be honest I'd say almost all of the terms can be open to interpretation, you could take many of them as compliments or insults.

16. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats a total lie. I challenge you to use that to describe someone of that nature to someone you know IRL and report back the reaction.

17. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Ben T. Awesome guy. Likes skydiving and carrot cake.

But on a more serious note, I think you need to chill out about this straight/bent thing. It is really not that big of a deal. I mean, look at this thread. No one seems to agree with you. Even I only vaguely saw the point you were trying to make and I still think that it is a pointless endeavor to try and change something so little people care about. If we as a community are not feeling the harmful effects of this word, why should be bother raising a big fuss over your overanalyzed vocabulary hissy fit?

Unless you have some sort of solution you plan on implementing, I suggest you accept that this isn't a major issue for the LGBT community and move on.

18. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps the connotations of "bent" and "straight" arent felt as much in countries other than England but I dont accept at all that it isnt a problem. Our language affects the way we think and it is only natural that language reflects, to an extent, 'morality' of the recent past.

As for a "solution" or "plan", I made this thread to raise some awareness.

19. NordicSpirit

I dont see a problem in using "straight" or "bent". I have never heard anyone use the word "bent" and even if I did it wouldnt bother me. I dont see how you could find them offensive.

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I asked several friends, none were offended at the notion of being referred to as "bent." In fact, they all found it amusing, in several different ways.