1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink Shirts banned from Pep Rally

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Shevanel, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Shevanel

Meow
    Although not SPECIFICALLY LGBT related, it mentions the Antibullying legislation which IS related, so yeah. Anyway, I think this is pretty silly. "Don't wear pink, so you won't get bullied"?

Just wondered what y'all thought. I like pink shirts, they're pretty badass. And as they say, real men wear pink.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm so he doesn't want people to wear pink for breast cancer awareness week either I assume?

3. Shevanel

EXACTLY! His logic perplexes me.

4. NordicSpirit

That makes no sense. If someone gets bullied becuase they're gay(or for whatever reason) it doesnt matter what colour shirt they're wearing. Wearing a different colour is hardly going to change it.

5. ArcaneVerse

I was going to say I can understand both sides because people should be able to wear what ever they want to wear as long as its reasonable, but also there is logic to the whole don't wear pink so you wont get bullied thing, its just that its also really flawed. The problem is he isn't saying you cant wear any number of other items of clothing that would get you beat up, just pink, which says to me its either homophobia, fear and hatred of doing away with "gender roles" or a combination of both.

All schools should just have a standard school uniform that way bulling and inappropriate attire is reduced. That's how its done here.

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I've never seen anyone get bullied for having a pink shirt at my school.

Guys wearing pink shirts at my school is not uncommon.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a well-meaning but poorly thought out idea. He's doing it for the right reason, but instead of saying "bullying will not be tolerated" he's saying "don't make yourself visible, that way you won't be bullied." Implication that people wearing pink are bullied because they're perceived to be gay.

So I think the thought's in the right place, but the solution is misguided. Sheesh. You'd think a school principal would have more sense.

8. Rikudo

Awww but picking on the freshies is fun.

9. Paper Heart

This is my possible (knock on wood) boyfriend's school! He was telling me that this whole thing is ridiculous because administration has been trying to phase pink out for years (the root was an isolated homophobia incident) and that the new principal is just their scapegoat. I met him at a school dance (we stayed to clean) and he was a generally nice gay. He knew we are gay and he didn't care. He actually really likes the guy.

10. Beachboi92

This. Don't punish the people in danger, punish the people who are doing wrong. There should be a strict no bullying policy not a strict "don't do anything different or "gay" policy." People never seem to stop finding ways to do stupid shit that affects other people and in turn piss me off.

11. concklin

While the principal definitely means well - he's going about it in the wrong way.

1. He shouldn't punish potential victims in order to prevent bullying.

2. Even if that was the right thing to do, he's still doing it wrong. If it's the school's tradition for the freshmen to wear pink, then they're not going to be bullied for it. They're going to be expected to wear pink.