1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adoption & the like

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by runkidrun1988, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Well I really want a child. And yes, I'm still single. Once I graduate from college in a few years I plan on adopting a child, whether or not I'm single. I've thought a long time about it, and I really want to be a father, more than I want anything else. I've looked and in my state, single individuals can adopt, and if done through OKDHS, no fee is charged, just the medical exam i would have to have. What else should I keep in mind?

2. Shevanel

Being able to support the kid? That seems to be like the most important thing. Make sure of that.

3. Well that's why I would wait until I was out of college, in a few years.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

This might go along with being able to support the child, but if you end up adopting one on your own make sure there'll be people who will help out with watching him/her. If you're out getting the money to support the child, you'll obviously have to be away from him or her quite a bit.

5. Shevanel

That's IF you have a job, IF it pays enough, IF it gives you sufficient time to actually raise the kid (if you are still single, since you said you'd adopt anyway), because you don't want a stranger to be raising your kid while you're working your ass off to support both yourself and said adopted kid, while paying said nanny. Lotsa ifs.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hrm...yeah but you also should consider making sure you're in a stable job. Being single and in an unstable job situation like substitute teacher or temporary assistant (no offense to those in these jobs or those who know people in these jobs.) isn't quite going to cut it for helping the child.

7. Elven

I would really love to adopt, I've always wanted to have kids when I'm older, when I relalised I was gay the prospect of never having a child was the thing that upset me most. However though I can completly understand how you may feel very 'broody' :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: you must think of this in the childs best interests, don't just rush into it blind.

Things to think about, though I have nothing against people being single parents if you plan to find a partner perhaps you would want to wait until you were in a stable relationship (instead of dragging a kid through your relationship problems/ups and downs) and he/she could have two stable loving parents. Also you should make sure you have enough resources readily available for raising a child so that would require a good job and residence (especially if you plan to be a single parent).

There's no need to rush it, why not enjoy your own youth before it's used up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If you had a child they should always be your first priority so make sure you're ready to give up alot of your free time you could otherwise spend improving your social relations, work status or just enjoying yourself. You can always raise a child later in life when you will perhaps be in a more stable position.

8. Well I've considered all of those things. I have friends and family that could watch while I was at work. I plan on waiting 3-4 more years, once I'm out of college and have a job that is going well.

9. Elven

Very well then, good luck with that. I just thought I'd input something to think about :slight_smile:

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm you know you can have your own child right? Surrogacy, adoption, artificial insemination...just saying.

11. Elven

That's why I said the *prospect* of never having a child, of cource there are ways around it but at the time I'd never really felt the need to look these things up and I suppose I used to see them as 'unnatural', I didn't concider adoption like having my own child either, I used to see things very differently...

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, just was trying to understand where that line came from.

13. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I personally don't want a child to say.. in the sense that if given the choice you'd choose not to if you had a choice. However, if my partner wanted to adopt I would. I'm pretty much on the fence.