1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How the Chilean Miners are Promoting a Homophobic Campaign from Chile's Government

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/vi..._a_homophobic_campaign_from_chiles_government

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Re: How the Chilean Miners are Promoting a Homophobic Campaign from Chile's Governmen

Um

That doesn't even make sense.

Add stupidity to hate. What do you get?

3. Paper Heart

Re: How the Chilean Miners are Promoting a Homophobic Campaign from Chile's Governmen

Did they have to come out of the mine?

4. Emberstone

Christene O'Donnell?

And here, for a while it seemed that latin america was moving ahead of the united states when it came to LGBT issues.

5. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

It's been a long time since I learnt spanish but I expect "A man who beats a woman is a faggot" is a better translation

6. Pokerface

I don't think we should be offended by this, we're not "f*ggots", we're gays, or clinically homosexuals.

Men on men are not an aberration, the aberration is men beating the crap out of women, either gay or straight.

So let them insult those beaters and call them "f*ggots", they're not insulting the gay community, they're insulting violent men, which I think is perfectly fine.

Just my opinion.

7. starfish

My first thought here is there may be something lost in translation.

A very important thing to remember that Spanish is a very diverse language. The idioms and profanity vary widely from region to region. Words that are perfectly acceptable in one area are considered extremely vulgar and offensive in another.

According to wikipedia:
    According to spanishdict.com
    Definitions 2 and 3 would fit the campaign. The "sadistic for no reason" would also fit the campaign.

IMHO the article writer jumped to conclusions and did not properly research the issue. A properly written article would have explored the cultural issues also.

A great English example is the word fag. In America it is offensive term for a gay man, in the English it is a cigarette.

8. HackmanWIU

^No offense but if more people looked a little farther than their noses like this guy, then perhaps some of you wouldn't be jumping to conclusions all the time and demanding people be crucified. AMIRITE SHIRLEY SHERROD?!

9. Eric

This made me think of the chicken dance joke from 'Arrested Developement', caption reading "You dance like a homosexual".

It's hilarious. xD

10. partietraumatic

The moment I read this article the first thing that jumped to mind was something being lost in translation, since from learning spanish for many years I know literal translations, without enquiring as to the nuance, are dangerous. I think some people, like the person who wrote this article, are too quick to assume that someone is insulting them.

11. Shevanel

Can I give you a high five?

12. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

That's not what I meant. The grammar isn't why I said it makes no sense. It makes no sense because a fag being a women beater is the exact opposite of a very common stereotype, which often proves true.

But since someone translated it better, it makes more sense and is no longer homophobic.

13. RedState

^^^I second that. Amen.

14. HackmanWIU

^always glad to get approval from Paulie "Walnuts" :icon_wink

15. Jay

Jay

I've yet to ask my friends from Chile but here in El Salvador, while "marica" or "maricon" can mean someone who is chicken or a coward, many many people use it to bully and bash gay people. Well, only guys are called "marica" or "maricon" and that's to denote lack of courage, often caused by being gay.

To clear things up: This is not what I think or believe, this is a general explanation on why that translation might have originated.