1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cardinal opposes civil unions

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/religion/2915608,CST-NWS-george1123.article

2. Jay

Jay

''Everyone has a right to marry, but no one has the right to change the nature of marriage'' <-- Well, he has a point. We all have the right to marry. Just because we don't want to execute it the way it is currently legislated doesn't mean we don't have that right.

3. No One

We all do have the right to marry. The problem is that we don't have the right to marry who we want. U

Mariage is not a religious union. Religious marriage with a preist that is ordained by god is, but guess what. I don't want a religious marriage, I want a secular marriage that has nothng to do with god. He can get over it.

4. midwestblues

[​IMG]

Whatever happened to the wall of separation between church and state? All gay people need to form a religion and start worshipping Meryl Streep or something, then maybe we can have some protection under the law.

5. Emberstone

take how long christanity has existed... two thousand years... now double that, and hadd another thousand years, and that is how long marriage has existed... now, notice that oddly enough, homosexuality existed throughout all that time, and in most cultures pre christianity, were okay with gay relationships. judisem is the first religion that was against it, and christanity and islam, which grew from jewish tradition, continued the hatred of gays.

gays were able to marry before christanity even existed... but back then, marriage was a legal institution first, as it still is. religion just has tried to claim ownership, as it does for everything it did not create.

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I still think we should make it so religious leaders have the right to deny gay people marriage if they so choose, but the courts can not. I think they should have the right to deny marriage of anyone frankly. Even though I believe that anyone can marry anyone, and anyone who says that's not true is a bigot, I still think no laws should make religious leaders marry people.

You don't have to have a priest for a wedding. You can still have a nice beautiful wedding without it.

Compromises. That way the separation of church and state still holds true and we're equal.

7. Emberstone

millions of people get married every year, and god is not involved in the ceremony.

besides, it is not the right of religious people to push their religion on anyone else.

8. No One

I'm not saying we should force religious leaders to perform gay marriage; I just dont want them to be able to stop others from doing it.

9. Emberstone

religion needs to stop claiming ownership of things that they did not create. They can claim ownership to racisem, war, and genocide, but not marriage, adoption, or morality.

10. RaeofLite

Religion always has and will likely be (at least for another several centuries) politically inclined towards the Conservative aspect of things. :frowning2: