1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope tries to ban gay priests, again

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dan82

2. midwestblues

But active pedophiles are fine. What a joke.

3. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

The thing about having a celibate priesthood is that in my opinion the people it is most likely to attract is people with an abnormal (whether in their eyes or the worlds eyes) sexuality/sexual preference.

Take pedophiles for example. If you grow up and you find you are only attracted to children, the priesthood provides a seemingly perfect escape. I don't believe that most priests who have abused children entered the priesthood with that as their plan.

For homosexuals in very anti-homosexual environments, the priesthood again provides another escape in a similar way.

As priests, individuals can be celibate and never have to come out and express their sexuality while still being very respected members of their communities.

I mean, when I was in the closet and in that state of mind I thought being a priest would be a great life, I would be a fully respected member of society. In the end I figured that there was a greater risk of my parents disowning me if I told them I wanted to be a priest than if I told them I was gay.

4. mart83

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Think of how empty the priesthood would be with even celibate gay priests kicked out. And to be honest, LostandFound, I pondered the same thing after trying to force myself to do the whole "dating girls" thing. Being conservative Catholics, it would be a lot easier (and more respectable) for my parents to accept a priest in the family than it would be to accept a gay son. But as I have come to accept myself, I know I can't live a lie like that.

5. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    how come the church hates homosexuality, yet the minority of church clergy that violate underlings, tend to go for alter BOYS!!. I'm pretty sure that when a man makes love to man regardless of age he is still a homosexual or have I got the wrong orientation?

Man love rules!!!!

6. Mogget

This is probably being billed (or will be, or has been) as a way of keeping out pedophiles. The Church, like most homophobes, doesn't really distinguish between homosexuality, transexuality, pedophelia, bestiality, polygamy, etc. It sees all sex as either "normal" or "perverted."

7. Darkwing65

Yeah this upsets me. I don't like being equated with a pedophile.

8. Emberstone

homosexuality and the catholic priesthood is a stereotype they will never be able to escape.