1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch prop 8 trial live - c-span

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Emberstone

2. midwestblues

Watching the Prop 8 supporters flounder now. Hilar! Love these judges.

3. Frer3

Thank you for posting...

4. Emberstone

I am sad that I will be in my writing exam during the juicy parts. right now they are just focused on the matter of standing for the prop 8 people. It is basically deciding how the case should progress, and not the merits of the case, so it is interesting as a insight into the way our justice system works and is structured, but I am ancy to get to the merits of the case itself.

5. Shevanel

This Charles Cooper dude reminds me of the state-appointed defense lawyer the guys try in My Cousin Vinny
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aElSfkaXtwU[/YOUTUBE]
    Starting around 3:10

He stumbles a lot. Doesn't sound too confident at all.

#5 Shevanel, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. Adam

Its funny because they have no argument at all.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'v been watching it, but man is it kind of hard to follow xD

8. midwestblues

"The Baker case would have been on all fours with Loving." Did he (Cooper) seriously just say that? Smh.

The plaintiff's attorneys pwned. So beautiful.

[​IMG]

9. Emberstone

all three judges also completely pwned the prop 8 defenders. they were incredibly skeptical on the anti-equality speakers. They were as indepth with olson and boies, but it seems that they are more moved by the equality side, than they are the anti-equality side by far.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it still on? Because all I'm finding is one about prison overcrowding :S

11. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I thought it happened on the 8th? Or is that just their conclusion?

12. Emberstone

nope. it only went for about two or three hours, and is over. I am hearing that the three justices will now convene, going over the walker decision and transcripts of that court case, and applying the law to it before making a decision if walker's ruling should stand or not.

it seems all three, even conservative mormon justice smith, are looking to be against the standing of imperial country and protectmarriage.com to defend prop 8, and easily 2 judges, if not all three, are likely to uphold walker's ruling.

13. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For those that missed it live but would like to watch it, it's availble online on C-SPAN's website here.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow...after Walker's trial which lasted like...eight months, and now the Appeals court lasted what....a day? I mean I know they'll appeal again to the Supreme Court, but none the less....I just really wonder what will happen if the Supreme Court rules it to be repealed, will it just mean that marriage gets re-enabled? Or will stupid NOM/Protect Marriage once again try and get the judges of the Supreme Court voted down and shit >_>

15. Emberstone

you cant vote down the judges of the supreme court. they are chosen by the sitting president when one steps down or dies, leaving a seat vacant. NOM would be powerless. once a issue is decided by the court, there is a deep finality about it. it is very hard to challange, because from aspect of constitution and law, the supreme court is the highest authority. neither congress or the executive branch can easily overrule a supreme court decision. I do not even remeber if there is a precedence for anyone even trying.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But didn't they just vote out three Supreme Court judges in Iowa? I mean yes, they voted them out during election period, but couldn't they do the same for California when that election period comes up?

17. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, the judges in Iowa were State Supreme Court judges. And the rules dictating how those are selected and their term length can differ state to state so what's true in Iowa may not be in California. Second, the supreme court this trial will go to next is not the California State Supreme Court, but rather the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS). Two very different courts.

The judges on SCOTUS are appointed for life. Short of assassination, the only way to remove a judge is through Congressional impeachment requiring cooperation of both the House and the Senate to not only vote to impeach but also to convict. While there have been a few tries to remove a sitting justice, none have ever been sucessful.

Additionally, rulings by SCOTUS are final. The only way to overrule a ruling is by either another SCOTUS ruling specificly overruling it or an amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

18. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for explaining. I still think it's extremely difficult to follow though, it's a difficult system if you don't know anything about it.

Can anyone please give me a short update? Did the hearings continue today?

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So since it's being ruled by SCOTUS next (Which I'm sure it will because I doubt 9th court will not repeal it and therefore they'll bring it to the Supreme Court), if SCOTUS rules to repeal Prop 8, could it change things in the States as a whole? or will it just effect California? Because if they rule it as indeed unconstitutional as Walker did, wouldn't it effect the USA entirely since as you put it, they're not the State Supreme Court, but the Supreme Court of the entire United States?

20. Emberstone

as I understand it, it can also possibly be appealed En Banc, which basically means eleven judges, not just the three would take the case up in the 9th circuit district court. if the losers of this current court case doesnt try to appeal it there, then it would go to SCOTUS, but it is up in the air if we would have to wait a year or two to get to the bench, or if they would expediate it.