1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC news examines bystander reactions to hostile coming out

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a really interesting video.

ABC news hires two actors, a teen boy and an older man playing his father. They sit in a restaurant for lunch, and the son comes out to the father, who loudly, and embarrassingly freaks out, tells his son he isn't gay and won't be... and with hidden cameras, they watch the reactions of the people at the nearby tables.

It's very interesting to see how people respond, who speaks up and who doesn't, and so on. It's really cool that they are exploring this issue.

(There's a second video that loads after the first one where it's a mother and son, and that one is just as powerful.)

2. midwestblues

Kudos to the people who got involved. It's not intruding into other people's personal business when the shit is loud and disruptive in public.

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The one episode I miss of What Would You Do something like this comes on. Damn.

4. Tim

Tim

I watch this every so often... Sad I missed this.

It makes me feel better about coming out to my mom second hand though... I know her, she would've said things in the spur of the moment that I wouldn't be able to forgive.

At least I gave her 8 hours to think about it. :S

I'm amazed at how many people stood up for him.

5. maverick

Seeing as I totally got a scene like the homophobic dad even after I gave my parents a six page letter and eight hours alone to think about it, I can't even imagine the horror of reenacting that scene in public. It made me feel really good to see people stand up for the guy. I am still working on forgiving my parents for some of the things that they said to me when I came out to them, even though I feel they're trying really hard to come to terms with the situation. It still doesn't really make me feel better when they say hurtful things to know that they are having a rough time "coming out of the closet" as well.

Too bad we are encouraged by the nature of our bystander society to stand by and watch, as if it were a scene in a TV show...we are desensitized as a culture to expressions of verbal abuse. I know I would not be able to stand by and watch as this kid got berated in front of me, whether I was straight or not, had kids or not.

6. Crypt

7. Emberstone

8. Connor22

that is brilliant

9. RaRa

Thanks for the video. I loved it. I got a bit teary at the last woman. She's awesome. <3