1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tolerance Program Raises Ire Of Some Vallejo Parents

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.ktvu.com/news/26073193/detail.html

2. Zontar

It's inappropriate to tell people not to hate now?

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol this cracks me up. Bigotry at it's most hilarious.

4. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Honestly, this isn't the job of schools to teach children this kind of material. Parents should be teaching this and other similar issues.

But I suppose if the parents are unwilling or unable....

I would like for there to be a series of tests couples must pass before they are allowed to reproduce.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Did you already make a thread about this awhile ago?

6. midwestblues

The old "turn the tables" trick. When we want to shed light on the sinister entity that is gay bullying, we're the ones doing the bullying. When we argue against people who oppose homosexuality, we're the ones intolerant of other people's viewpoints because we want equal rights. The world sees through them like they're bathing in Windex.

And what kind of harassment and trauma is your kid going to force on LGBT students who are just trying to live their lives? If you don't like your child being educated against bullying, then go to a private school. You'll definitely get your homophobia fix there.

You don't have the right to abolish an educational program that will save students from being traumatized, being killed, or killing themselves. Your rights end when your viewpoints reach the fringe of humanity.

Lifestyle? What lifestyle are you referring to, exactly? The program is educating students about the permanent damaging effects that result when somebody is harassed based on his or her immutable sexual orientation. Unless the program is trying to brainwash you into lesbianism, nothing is being "put upon you," except the expectation that you'll exercise basic humanity.

No, that's not what happened. It immediately went from tolerance about being gay to intolerance about being gay while using the bible as an excuse to sensible people wanting to defend themselves from attacks on their dignity.

Good luck with that, rancid human scum.

7. Jay

Jay

I will get a lot of hate myself for doing this but look people: I don't know who Porsche is, but half of you guys do THIS right here in this forum. I've seen things like "Oh, when will religion die?!", "They should go to hell", "Close-minded motherfuckers" and so on. Quoting.

Needless to say, if they bully us, that doesn't give us a right to talk crap and smack about them. Whether you call yourself Atheist or non-believer, or non-religious, whatever. That doesn't give you the right to say "Religion is the biggest shit in this world and Fuck God". The same way you don't want to be bashed and bullied, don't bully back.

Were you there, at that classroom? Please do me a favor and try to deny that half of the LGBT community has only hate on their mouths when dealing with Christianity or any religion for that matter. If a Christian is telling you that it isn't OK to be gay because Leviticus says so, what do you do? Do you answer with hate too? If you do, then too bad but you're not worthy of tolerance and ALL the homophobia in the world should be dealt towards you.

8. midwestblues

So let me get this straight. If somebody directs homophobia, in the name of God, towards me, I must not fight that idea, otherwise I'm being "hateful" and deserving of that homophobia to begin with. I am truly embarrassed that you are part of the gay community human race.

9. maverick

^ I agree with both of these points.

^ I disagree with both of these points.

While essentially I agree with Midwestblues in that I believe that trying to block this program on religious/moral grounds is ludicrous, simply based on the fact that sticking your fingers in your kids ears and screaming "LAH LAH LAH" is not going to erase the fact that homosexuals and other people living alternative lifestyles co-exist amongst them, I also agree with Jay in that I find some of the ire against Christians from militant non-believers to border on the hatred and bigotry that they speak against so fervently in the Christian community.

Look, I don't think many people understand better than me that some people within the Christian faith can take their beliefs to an oppressive place. I was a transgendered kid raised in Alabama - my only real bully was the self-proclaimed leader of a church prayer group. I grew up as part of a fundamentalist religious community which told me quite regularly that I was going to burn in the fires of hell for all eternity.

But I don't hold hatred against Christians, even though I did renounce that faith and convert to Buddhism. Being around Christians intimately showed me that while you are going to run across some people that use their religion as an expression of their own fears and insecurites, the overwhelming majority of people within Christianity and other faiths are just "normal" compassionate people too, and don't feel the need to use their religion against others. Even in hyper-religious communities like the one I was brought up in, for every "GOD HATES FAGS" redneck out there, there are several Christians who actually try to walk in the path of Christ.

The only reason these PTA protesters are even getting media attention is because they are the loudmouths, pure and simple, and the media loves a soap opera. These parents are the small-town equivalents of the Westboro Baptist Church. We don't take the WBC seriously, why should we take these people seriously either?

The resentment and hatred some people within the queer community hold towards religion is a barrier against us as a community reaching out to the moderates within the community of faith. These people are the ones who have the capacity to change policies, change minds, and change hearts.

That's just my two cents, anyway.

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." ~ Buddha

10. midwestblues

I agree with all of your points (except your agreement that a person doesn't have the right to speak ill of someone who bullies him or her), but my comment wasn't really concerning religion. It was concerning the notion that there is any instance in this world in which homophobia is warranted. Not only has a portion of my life been devastated by it, but, even more upsettingly, I've seen people I love painfully repressed and tormented by it. Anybody who would suggest something like that could be deserved for any reason has got some truly fucked up priorities.

#10 midwestblues, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  11. maverick

^ I don't necessarily believe that a person doesn't have the right to speak ill of someone who bullies them. I am just agreeing with Jay in that I don't think that they are being self-righteous in doing so, or are somehow justified in their reactions. To me, it is like this: You get pissed off at your neighbor, but you express it by kicking your neighbor's dog, who didn't do anything to you. All you did is introduce more suffering, and nothing you did rectified the original misunderstanding.

Hatred is hatred, period. It doesn't matter where it's originating from, or under what banner. I think it's bad to hate people or speak ill of them regardless whether you agree with them or not, and regardless of whether they speak ill of you or not.

I agree with you Mid in that I think any expression of homophobia is unwarranted. I am one of those people who has been completely devastated in the past by homophobia, and I have almost lost my life to it. I have almost killed myself over it.

Nobody deserves to go around feeling like the best thing they could possibly do for themselves is go jump off a bridge or hang themselves with a bedsheet for something they cannot control. Ever.

12. midwestblues

Disdain =/= Hate
    Disdain for people who persecute others =/= Hatred for people because of how they were born
    Oppression suffered by a battered minority =/= Criticism received by an abusive majority

I hope I've made myself clear. These ideas are not interchangeable.

#12 midwestblues, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  13. Emberstone

I do not want my children to be exposed to the lies that ten foot tall blue creatures with tales have rights!!!

STOP JAMES CAMERON FROM MAKING AVATAR 2!!!

14. maverick

I understand your position and agree with you. I just don't understand the point of scathing disdain which causes further conflict if it is not constructive, I guess. I mean, yeah, sure, it's easy to go, "**** those guys, they're a bunch of freaking morons and bigots."

But that attitude still leaves you in the same oppressed place you were before, you're just more pissed off and suffering though. Disdain doesn't affect your position, other than putting you in a negative light and eliminating a lot of pathos you would otherwise receive from uninvolved parties.

To people who aren't directly involved in the conflict, it looks better for the oppressed to shrug it off and go, "Yeah, well...we have a slight difference of opinion, but whatevs. We know we're right, baby!" And then you look like the person who is too confident to let a bunch of ass-backwards rednecks direct your emotions or behavior.

That's just my take though, it sounds like we fundamentally agree otherwise.

#14 maverick, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm....didn't I hear the same sort of sentence in the Prop 8: Gathering Storm video?....Hmm yup...something about "my freedom will be taken away", etc etc...basically sounds like Nation for Marriage are at it again. I betcha anything all these "parents" are actors too! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. midwestblues

I completely agree with this.

17. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    he should not make avatar 2 just because it will be a huge failure. other than the graphics in the first movie the movie was bad

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm sorry, but WHAT?

I'm right there with you about how a lot of LGBT people hate religious people JUST because they are religious, but wishing that "ALL the homophobia in the world should be dealt towards" that person is horrible.

You are basically contradicting yourself. "People should not hate on religion, but if you do you deserve all the hate and bad treatment!"