1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House Dems introduce standalone measure to repeal 'Don't ask'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...sk-dont-tell-repeal-to-be-introduced-in-house

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

How exactly does a standalone legislation work? Just curious.

3. RedState

A stand alone piece of legislation is basically a "clean bill". In other words, it is a bill before the mark-up process in the committees. Should it make it to The Floor with no amendments, it would be a straight (pardon the pun) up or down vote on DADT versus it being attached as an amendment to the Defense Budget Bill as it was in The Senate.

A stand-alone bill goes through the basic legislative process, where the amendment process gets a little more complicated in the sense that the Rules Committee gets involved and sets the guidelines for individual debate (such as how many amendments can be offered for a specific piece of legislation)

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Thank you Bammer-hammer! :grin:

I hope this works. :3

5. Emberstone

either way, republicans will do everything in their power to block it, as they have done for preatty much everything for two years.

6. RedState

>>>As they have done for pretty much everything for two years.
    Last time I checked, the Administration has gotten just about everything it wanted. If that is an example of blocking skills then they block worse than the Delaware Blue Hens football team.

Your welcome Steve, no problem...but with so little time remaining in the 111th Session, this is a symbolic gesture more than anything.

#6 RedState, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Well, the Democrats got the bare minimum of what they wanted. They didn't get exactly what they wanted. But that's because of compromises, and compromises are the only ways parties can run the government together, just like always.

8. No One

The Democrats got everything they wanted in name, but not really in reality. The health care bill, for example, was nothing like what we wanted.

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I agree with this. Even though they should have been able to pass legislation in the past two years, the gop propoganda sadly infected the conversation and we had to settle for less than what should have been done.

I expect this can pass in the House, but I'm doubtful if it will in the Senate.

If people would only think about this:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_t6rV3U9ZEHM/SiR2bYuX3YI/AAAAAAAAVqY/VwfJPWHX2Rk/s400/gay+military.jpg

10. RedState

I simply disagree with this. Granted there is un-needed propaganda everywhere, but one of the reasons why The President got miffed at the Left during his press conference was because he was not getting credit for the accomplishments (as he seems them) during his Administration.

Healthcare was one of the biggest platforms he ran on...with the exception of the Public Option (which failed in The House...which had a huge majority in that Body) it was done.

One of the most expensive pieces of legislation (with the exception of that horrible trillion dollar prescription drug Bill Bush pushed for and "Republicans" passed) in Congressional history--the Stimulus--passed. Those are 2 key points that The Administration clings to..so I do think they got the major things they advocated for. However, judging by the recent elections, the majority of the voting pubic did not like them.

The Democrats did have a clear majority for a while in Congress (House and 60 votes in The Senate) so they could have pushed anything through...and to the Administration's credit, they did try and seize upon that opportunity. However, it was ire raised by Members of his own Party in Congress that put a halt on many things the base of the Democratic Party expected out of Congress.