1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Court urged to void Texas gay divorce

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/court-urged-to-void-travis-county-gay-divorce-1125333.html

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow...I think I just laughed my ass off...so now they want to prevent gay couples from getting divorced....now I've heard it all lol.

3. ANightDude

It's not that they don't want them to get divorced or married, it's because in Texas it's forbidden to have ANY court action on a marriage that isn't between a man and a woman. Since a marriage between two men or women isn't recognized, it wouldn't exist in Texas. Therefore, the judge just settled a personal dispute. In the eyes of the government in this state, they were never legally married, so they can't be legally divorced.

Like it or not, it's the law. Does it make sense? It would if it took place months ago, but since this was quite a while ago, he's just bringing it back to further block gay marriage in Texas (considering earlier in the year a judge ruled the gay marriage ban in Texas was unconstitutional, and support has been slowly rising as younger voters have been coming out (no pun intended) to the polls in the state).

I'm speaking without personal biases. Like it or not, he has to defend the law, but when it's necessary. Bringing back a court case like this is pointless to anyone.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know. I just more find it amusing though because it sounds like they're saying "sorry you can't get divorced because you're gay". That's all.

5. Zontar

For some reason, I just noticed I never paid much attention to the thought of gay divorces...although that's gonna be an inevitable part of gay marriage.