1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell," DREAM Act, Head to Senate for Votes This Weekend

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20025987-503544.html

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now let's hope that the Party of No isn't stupid enough to filibuster or otherwise make a stink to keep it from passing. I get really, REALLY fucking tired of their opposing absolutely everything except what they've been bribed to vote for, regardless of how beneficial it might be, or how much in favor of it their constituency might be.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the name of the act. :grin: DREAM is an amazing name for an act.

4. RedState

I hope they filibuster the hell out of the DREAM act.
    DADT I could care less about....it's to the point of "eh..whatever"

>>>...regardless of how beneficial it might be
    I not really following you on this one. If a piece of legislation is beneficial wouldn't it be a good idea to get it passed...regardless of who sponsored it? Example, I thought it was a very wise and appropriate move for the leadership to enact the rule by Rep. John Spratt (D-SC) called "pay-go"....of course they quickly forgot about it, but that's not the point.

>>>or how much in favor their constituency might be
    Aren't our elected leaders supposed to listen to the people that actually send them there from time to time?

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

So because you don't care about it, that means no one who actually wants to join the army but can't because of their sexuality, or was kicked out because of it can join the army.

I didn't realize you were Jesus, and that your opinion should be interpreted into law because your opinion on whether or not to join the army trumps the dreams of people who actually want to join the army.

:eusa_clap

You know, that exact same argument was used against women and African-Americans joining the army.

I didn't realize a gay person can work so hard to undermine other gay people. I find this hypocrisy so hilarious.

#5 Lady Gaga, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  6. RedState

Huh? I simply was saying that it is not a high priority issue for me. I never said I faulted anyone who did or find fault with those that consider this their cause. It just doesn't happen to be mine.

You do realize that DADT and the DREAM Act are two different things right?

No, I'm not Jesus. But I do wish I could turn water into wine. it would really save me a lot of money

And....exactly how I am working so hard to undermine other gay folks exactly? By not having all of their issues at the top of my list?

Ok...whatever. I guess I'm a bad gay then...because social issues just aren't my thing.

#6 RedState, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Oh. Then nevermind. lol

8. ANightDude

Bamaboy just got ten points. :grin:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The DREAM ON bill, maybe. I say send them all home now...before they do any more damage.

Lex

10. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Wasn't our country founded on people like them?

I am confused. It's okay for us to invade and kill. But it's not okay for them to just seek a better life in a richer country with minimal if any at all harm to you?

11. Charme

Charme Guest

I do hope the Dream Act isn't passed. Seriously, it's sad that kids get trucked to the states when they're young but they're still illegal immigrants. The bill would encourage more illegals to bring "anchor babies" (lol @ the term). And by illegals I don't just mean Mexicans.

Tell them to enter the country legally and then it will be okay for them to seek a better life. Until then, it's completely unfair for them to get amnesty and become citizens while the rest of the immigrants who got here legally will have to wait years to become citizens doing it the right way.

12. lostinthought9

Just going to echo what most people have already said: Yes to the repeal of DADT, and NO to the Dream Act.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wanna know something I wonder, why do acts that are horrible get given amazing names like DREAM, and wonderful acts get given horrible names like "Bill numebr 0489u0250935029u52049u" ? Stupid hypocrisy.

Please Note: There is no such act name as this bill I just was using it as a point :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. RedState

It's simply Washington speak...basically to make something sound better than it is.

It's an acronym: Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act

Hence he catchy term DREAM Act

15. Stuie

I don't see why everyone is so against the DREAM Act. From what I understand, it grants people who've received an education in America as illegal immigrants and been in the USA for six years, permanent residency. If they've been educated there, arrived as youths and lived there with a good record for a substantial period of time, does that make them second class people? Isn't not passing that bill kind of xenophobic? I don't think Australia is much better with the treatment of refugees though.

DADT however, just pass it already. The USA is I think the only country with a policy that ridiculous.

Another question: why do gay people deserve to be treated better than refugees?

16. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely support the DREAM act. Actually, I confess that I care much more about it passing than the repeal of DADT.

17. RedState

Well, a couple of things.
    1) A lot of people are opposed to amnesty. In it's current form it will grant full citizenship to an illegal who has completed...just completed 2 years of college...or 2 years of military service...it doesn't take into account that you have to have a VALID Social Security Number to even sign up for the US Armed Forces. Submitting false information to the DOD is another crime in itself.

2) It is rewarding bad and illegal behavior. The privilege normally just applies to Members of Congress

18. Charme

Charme Guest

Short, simple, and true. Lol @ number 2.

Yes, because they're illegal.

19. Stuie

Haven't you ever put yourself in their shoes? Have you even considered what it is like to be a refugee? If it's all "venison and turtle soup with a gold spoon", why on earth would people be flocking in droves away from it, even at the expense of breaking the law? If you had scraped together everything you own to get you across the border to what you believe is a better life, would you be trying to go through diplomatic channels, which you can't even get to?

And they don't become citizens, they become permanent residents. There is a substantial difference between the two.

20. crimsonarcher

Well, if it wasn't obvious by my DREAM Act thread, I am personaly affected by this.
    1. I came when I was 8 MONTHs old. I think we can all agree that I didn't consciously choose to cross the border.
    2. I grew up here, went to school, and in my entire academic career, I have never received an F. Never.
    3. I graduated HS, top 30, 4,1 GPA.
    4. Fluent English (not to toot my own horn).
    5. Actually, under the DA (As the DREAM Act will be referred to henceforth), once you apply, pay the application fee, submit to health screenings, DHS background checks, you then become a CONDITIONAL resident. Notice how that's NOT a U.S. citizen. Meaning I'm placed in a probationary 10-year period. TEN. Not one year, not a month. 10 whole years, not 9 years and 3 months.
    6. After the 10 years FULLY pass, and you have attended college/military service for 2 years, you have to then re-apply for permanent residency. You'd then have to wait another 5 full years, then you can re-apply, pay the fee, take the citizenship test, and receive confirmation from Immigration.
    7. As a DA-beneficiary, I won't have access to health care subsidies, nor federal/pell grants. In-state tuition won't be forced on all 50 states- So 40 states will only offer out-of-state.
    8. As the math points out, 10+5=15 years, and that's not counting delays.
    9. These according to the Congressional Budget Office's findings for s.3992 (The DA):
    -"CBO estimates that enacting S. 3992 would increase net direct spending by $912 million
    over the 2011-2020 period. That amount reflects changes in spending for refundable tax
    credits, Social Security, Medicare, student loans, and the Department of Homeland
    Security (DHS)."

-"CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the bill would reduce deficits
    by about $1.4 billion over the 2011-2020 period."

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL:"Under the bill, unauthorized residents could qualify for conditional nonimmigrant status if
    they:
     Were less than 16 years of age when they entered the country,
     Lived in the United States for at least five years prior to the bill’s enactment,
     Are high school graduates or high school students who have been admitted to an
    institution of higher education or have a general education development (GED)
    certificate, and
     Meet other requirements.
    After 10 years, individuals could have their status adjusted from conditional nonimmigrant
    to LPR status if they have received a degree from an institution of higher education,
    completed at least two years toward a bachelor’s (or higher) degree, or served at least two years in the military."

10. To add insult to injury, I'm gay! A gay, illegal roman catholic teenager. That sounds like something I'd want. Any takers?
    11. I have never seriously considered suicide, but I'm afraid that one day I will. After all, I'm already a second-class citizen for being gay, so I guess this makes me third, 4th class? The life, I tell ya!
    12. I've been on EC Three years and seven months (April 2007), and I was pleasantly surprised by the support and space that lies here. I felt no longer alone, in terms of gay issues. Now I'm happy. Stressed as hell over the vote, but here I am. I feel awful. :/
    13. I might be ostracised, even bullied off EC, and that's OK. I understand genuine concerns, even when complete strangers, cyber and physical, tell me that I don't deserve to breath and that I take out the drugs hidden deep inside me, for that was my only purpose in life. But hey, what can you do?
    14. BTW, I'm also freaking out over DADT's vote. Both gay and immigrant issues share room in my human, mortal, beating heart.
    15. Oh, and I just can't go back. Once you've entered unlawfully, the system doesn't process you. Even if you attempt to with a compelling case and waiver, you'll get a bar of 10 years. Not to mention a backlog of 10-20 years. All for being too small and underdeveloped to even speak. And for that, I'm sorry. (I'm not sarcastic. I hate this situation as much as the next guy.)
    :frowning2:
    P.s. As an immigrant, I'll be glad to address any concerns you may have. I'm quite active on the DA. I think I know it pretty well.

#20 crimsonarcher, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010