1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian hotel owners who barred gay couple may close business

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/14/christian-couple-barred-gay-couple-shut-hotel

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's face it, unless it's a church, faith and business NEVER go together.

3. RaRa

Well its not just gays, but all unmarried couples. At least thats what they say.

I agree with Revan. If you want to make as much profit as possible you wouldnt turn away a customer for any reason.

If its against the law to discriminate than they should be found guilty.

4. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I certainly do.

5. midwestblues

If that were really the case, then no heterosexual couple would have been able to rent a room there without presenting the owners with a valid marriage license. I'm willing to stake that every heterosexual couple who rented a room there did so without presenting the owners with a marriage license.

+1

6. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Aaaand we have a winning argument!! :eusa_danc

7. Emberstone

sometimes, faith and church is the root of all evil too. just depends on how warped and inhumane the faith and/or church is.

Buisnesses shouldnt discriminate on many levels because one, it is bad for buisness to live in the fucking middle ages, two, discrimination is wrong, and three, your religious beliefs should never be used to punish or demonize others, expecially if your a christian, cause such behavior was deemed a sin by christ himself, so you cant judge others, when your actions speak loudly about yourself.

8. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

There's an easier way, you take the names of the two people and if their last names match up then they're probably married.

Personally, I don't think it's wrong to say that your B&B is only for married couples, I mean in the end it's going to be them who miss out on the profits and if nobody takes up the unmarried couples market I'll gladly go the south of England, start up a B&B and make a killing.

9. Emberstone

not even heterosexual couplies always adopt their spouses last name.

10. midwestblues

Do you think two people by the names of Patrick Johnson and Fred Johnson would be able to rent a room at that B&B if they showed the owners their ID's?

11. RaRa

Idk. When looking at their picture I felt kind of bad.

12. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I saw on their website that they believe marriage to be "one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others".

I'd agree now that they should be taken to court for that. I'd say that they can exclude unmarried couples but they can't define marriage if they are going to have a B&B.

#12 LostandFound, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  13. No One

I agree. If they refuse to change the policy, they should be shut down.

14. Lebowski45

They pretty much have to go out of business unless they change. They are free to hold whatever views they like but if you are running a business you cannot discriminate. It's like a racist running a shop and deciding to bar foreigners from coming into that shop. That cannot stand up in court, and nether will this. Personal belief should not determine who you can be open to business to, anyone who wants to run a business should be subject to the law, and the law outlaws discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation. I look forward to them going out of business.

15. starfish

In my opinion it is a shame that the law is even involved in this. Yeah it is bad business, but it is their business to mismanage as they wish. Anyone who disagrees with the policy should take their business elsewhere. That should be what puts them out of business.

16. midwestblues

So you're saying that discrimination should be legal?

And how are people going to disagree with the policy when they don't know the policy exists? Unless the owners' greeting is, "Hi, welcome to our B&B, we don't serve gay couples, how can I help you?" straight people would have no idea about the discrimination taking place.

17. Lebowski45

I don't agree. I think that there should be laws in place to protect minorities. Your opinion relies on the fact that homophobia isn't alive and well. I'm reminded of the segregation in southern America which excluded blacks from going into certain places simply for being black. Is it acceptable for someone to still practice these kind of policies if they wished? Maybe I don't have enough faith in the majority of human beings to not allow these things to survive, but personally I think we need laws to act against any discrimination - of whatever form it may take.

18. starfish

For private business yes. You should be able to choose who you want to do business using whatever criteria you choose.

I'm free to choose what businesses I patronize for whatever reason I choose. In my opinion that should be a two way street.

As for how to get word out about bad policies. Threads like this are a great start. Facebook, twitter, and the Internet in general are good vehicles to convey the message. On Facebook in particular I was invited to so many make BP pay groups. You could start a group to boycott this business they are closed minded bigots.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where does it say that? I was looking around and the only policies for rooms of theirs I found was this:

Edit: Never mind, found it. Yeah I'm pretty sure they can't have that >_>

20. kwyjibo

The same. The sooner they shut down that place and have to get some horrible, really low-paying job the better. It will teach them a lesson.