1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America is ready to elect a gay president: Jimmy Carter

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Zontar, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Zontar

http://www4.economictimes.indiatime...resident-jimmy-carter/articleshow/7116971.cms

Finally, Carter says something I can agree with :grin:

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The day a gay president is elected is the day another civil war breaks out.

3. ANightDude

I doubt it. It'd be just like Obama. Some people complain, but no one's going to actually take up arms simply because it's a gay guy. I mean, Lincoln's election, which trigged the beginning of the secession, was because of his political views.

But yeah, they'd be fighting against... nothing. There'd be no political meaning to do so. No states left the Union because Obama was elected.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's particularly cool about this is Jimmy Carter is a very devout Baptist. He's obviously moved beyond the rather obsolete and bigoted thinking of the Baptist church and adopted a much more accepting view.

Some people might disagree, but I think he arguably has more integrity and class than any former president in at least the last 50 years.

5. Emberstone

gov. perry of texas seemed ready to remove texas from the union on the basis that he did not like obama and his agenda... even though it was the antithesis of the agenda perry supported that caused the recession in the first place.

6. RealityCheck

I think it would be a little different than the Obama election because I see this as a bigger issue to the faith based voters. There has never been a true separation of Church and state. I commend Jimmy Carter for his public acknowledgement, but I highly doubt to see this happen within the next 10-15 years. Good example is American Idol that doesn't allow their gay contestants to publicly talk about their sexuality while being a participant. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about American Idol.

7. RedState

Yeah, you could say I disagree.

His Presidency was a complete failure (Good Lord, people still try and tear down the "Jimmy Carter Boulevard" sign in Atlanta...at that's a Democratic town). But his humanitarian work directly afterward is laudable.

His work with Habitat for Humanity is certainly to be commended. However, I think he has become very bitter in his elder years. Let's face it, he still has not gotten over the ass whipping he took in 1980. Granted, if I got fired by a couple hundred million people it would take me a while to get over it to.

While one would think that we have moved to that point, his comment has no grasp of reality.

8. Paper Heart

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned James Buchanan yet, as he was the closeted 'mo in the White House. Or at least thats the going theory.
    Also, I believe that there will be a women president before any LGBT person is elected.

9. RaRa

I think you and my mom would be the best of friends!

Paranoid much?

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I finally listened to a really interesting mini-lecture by a researcher in the developing field of "moral psychology" who explained why Republicans and Democrats are so fundamentally unable to agree on anything. It basically has to do with different brain wiring, and it finally makes sense why most everything I (and most everyone else on EC) says about politics is complete bullshit to you, and why most everything you say is bullshit to me. Not that either of us will change, but at least I understand why now.

That aside... notice that I didn't say a word about Carter's presidency, but you just couldn't resist bringing that up, even though it had nothing to do with what I was saying.

I was talking simply about the man's integrity and class. I would have hoped you could put aside your Republican bigotry for just a moment and see that he really is an amazing person who truly has his heart in the right place and has done a lot of amazing, non-partisan things, and agree on those issues. I'm speaking not of his presidency, but of his moral fiber.

But perhaps even that is beyond your grasp.

11. RedState

So now I'm a bigot too Chip?...I appreciate that, thanks...

Did I not say that his humanitarian work was to be commended and his work with Habitat for Humanity was excellent?

Certainly I realize that there are numerous opinions out there, and I accept and understand how someone can come to the conclusions that they do. Sure, I think that the opinions of some that I come across are kind of wacky and wrong, but I still accept the fact that they are out there...regardless if I think they are bullshit or not (which most of the time I do think they are bullshit)

As far as me bringing up Carter's Presidency, well...I'll remember your comments the next time you randomly bring up your hatred for Sarah Palin in a comment that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. You do that because I guess you just can't put aside your radical liberalism...but you can't help it...because your brain is wired that way...remember?

#11 RedState, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  12. Miss Bubbles

The day a gay president is elected is the day I am sitting in the oval office!!!!! Cody For President!!!!:smilewave :smilewave :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :badgrin:

13. Eric

What will happen to the title of "First Lady"? D:

14. maverick

First Gentleman? :icon_wink

I don't know if I'll live to see a gay president. The "Christian nation" might accept a black president, but they're not going to elect someone who is openly hellbound. :dry:

15. Miss Bubbles

I think that would that would depend on who is was lol :roflmao: i may stick with first lady but when im president he shall be the first man lol

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, that was a poorly thought out comment. I don't think you're a bigot, but to me, "republican" and "bigot" do often go together. So I apologize.

Yes, and at the same time, you said "you disagree", presumably with the main point I'd made, that he was a person of class and integrity.

Yes, my brain is wired to believe that Sarah Palin is an unusual combination of unbelievably ignorant and someone who has absolutely zero regard for the truth. And from what I understand, so does most of the intelligencia of the republican party (well, at least the ignorance part). Or maybe they wouldn't care if she's a dumbass if they thought she was electable, which apparently they don't. But Carter and Palin aren't even in the same universe in terms of intelligence and integrity.

(BTW, the "brain wiring" thing is actually a great video, well worth the 20 minutes it takes to watch it, and goes a long way toward explaining why liberals and conservatives have such different views, and how both viewpoints are necessary and valuable. )

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, at first I read the title of this thread wrong. I interpreted this as meaning that Jimmy Carter came out, and now wants to make a bid for presidency...

The reality is, as usual, rather boring again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Really though, secession from the U.S. is probably something Texans talk about in bars, and that's used as rhetoric to rile up the masses. The reality is that any states seceding from the U.S. at this point will be commiting economic suicide. They'll probably get applause from third world countries for being so tough on moral issues, but big multinationals will be horrified, and the stock market would be in shambles.

So there'll be lots of wind, but in the end, people will live and discover the sky hasn't fallen...

18. Zach1992

No way in hell will this happen in the near future.

19. RedState

Well, a few things:
    Bigot and conservative do apply to some individuals sadly...just like liberal and kook go together with some individuals. Does that apply to the entire movement? No. And I think it is equally as ignorant (for both sides of the political spectrum) to generalize the other in that fashion...it really accomplishes little except to get tempers and blood pressures to rise.

I do not disagree with the statement that Carter has integrity and has accomplished many great things since his departure from The White House. The fault is mine because I should have made that more clear. I still stand by my statement that he has become very bitter in his later years. I happen to think someone equally as classy would be George H.W. Bush...I think he has acted with the utmost character and dignity since leaving The White House in 1993.

I'm not a Palin fan, most Republicans I know here and in DC aren't either. I think she is a ding-bat....and I agree that they are not in the same universe. However, I still stand by the point I was making.
    That video does sound interesting and I will check it out.

By the way, Carter did say one of my favorite quotes: "Whatever starts in California unfortunately has an inclination to spread" :slight_smile:

Just some levity to smooth things out :slight_smile:

20. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    A black president was elected 44 and a half years after the Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964. Sodomy laws were only struck down nationwide seven years ago. I think we still have a while to wait.