1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DREAM Act Dies, DADT Repeal Imminent

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2010/12/18/dream-act-dies-dadt-repeal-imminent.aspx

2. Adam

Looks like the repeal will happen! :grin:

3. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    So pissed about the DREAM Act dying. Damn it.

4. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Disappointed and upset in the DREAM Act failing; DADT being dead is just awesome though.

5. Geoff

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy about DADT being repealed and also happy about the Dream Act failing. This seems like a liberal forum, so I know that it's probably not a popular opinion. However, we can't have a backdoor amnesty policy in this country when our border is not secure and we already have the problem of women coming across the border to have anchor babies.

I know, I know that it isn't their faults that their parents brought them here, but it also isn't the responsibility of U.S. citizens to glorify their parents illegal behavior.

6. Emberstone

well, the dream act isent just giving the kids a free pass. they have to work for it. and it doesnt give their parents the right to stay in the country. their parents still would be deported, but the kids who for all intensive purposes have been raised in america can work hard through either working their way through college, or serving in the military to defend america, can earn the right to stay.

If it was basically just handing them citizenship with no strings attached, I would agree with you.

our immigration system is screwed up.

there are very few people in america who have the right to claim that they are not here because of immigration of any kind... and really, none of the people in power are one of them.

We are a nation that exists because of immigration, and the xenophobia has no place in our society, and we shouldnt tolerate it. this is not iran.

7. Geoff

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem I have with the Dream Act is that the language it has, or lacks, about whether or not these children would be receiving in state tuition. It is not fair for the residents of each state who are lawfully paying EVERY tax to fund the children of illegals to go to school. No American citizen should be denied entry to a college either if an undocumented student is granted admission.

8. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

That is a misconception.lol Everyone pays taxes... I have noticed that my parents get taxes off their paychecks, so I guess it must be the same for illegal immigrants?
    Oh, another thing, I believe immigrants are unable to file for taxes at the end of the year. My parents get money back, some years, so I am guessing immigrants never do; since they are unable to file taxes?

AND yay, for repeal of DADT<3 I was hoping this would come...
    I think it went against what some of our soldier stood for... =(