1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EmptyClosets interviews Kathy Baldock - Submit Questions Here!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Martin, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey peeps,

As you may have read from the Announcement, we are fortunate enough to be interviewing Kathy Baldock.

This interview has been set up to offer members a chance to ask her questions about anything related to the LGBT community and Christianity. Her experiences make her a very valuable resource to have for the LGBT community, and she has extensive knowledge of LGBT-friendly churches across the world, which she uses to help those in need and to reach out to more churches. She also has experiences dealing with those who have been a part of Exodus International, the notorious organisation offering ex-gay 'treatment' to vulnerable LGBT members. Anybody of any spiritual belief (or lack thereof) is entitled to submit a question, and all questions will be given equal merit by staff when deciding which to submit to her (obviously we can't overload her :wink:). All we ask is that everybody is respectful when asking their question. :slight_smile:

Anyways, EC does lack resources on religious issues, so we are hoping that this can open up new opportunities to reach out to those members who may be in need of it. Currently discussions on religion can sometimes result in pretty strong opinions on both sides being expressed, and the aim of this is to offer a new voice/perspective to that discussion and stir more healthy debate.

Note: This is not an attempt to put the needs of religious members before those who may be atheist, agnostic etc. It is just an opportunity for everybody to submit a question, see what she has to say, and hopefully have a healthy discussion amongst one another afterwards.

Please submit any questions you have below. It can be anything you want, but please remember to keep it as polite as possible. There is nothing wrong with challenging somebody on their views, but its important for the sites reputation that we do so in a friendly manner.

The staff will pick between 10-20 of the most suitable questions that she can answer, and they will be passed on to her for response. :slight_smile:

The deadline to submit questions is Monday 10th January at 9pm UK time.

From EC Staff.

------------

Here are some of her resources for those who may be interested:
    'A Conservative Christian Speaks Out - For Gay Rights' by Kathy Baldock.
    It Gets Better by Kathy Baldock.
    http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/
    http://affirmingchristian.org/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/canyonwlkr
    Two documentary videos of her: 1 and 2.

2. Jay

Jay

Do you think celibacy is the only proper way to live your life when you're LGBT? If not, do you think the exact same commandments given to heterosexual men and women should be practiced among the LGTB youth?

(PS. I know my question's wording sounds odd. I hope my idea is clear and if someone has a better way of saying what I want to say please PM me >.<)

3. Mr.Pushover

My question is:
    For the gay-friendly churches out there, how do they hold their sermons or homilies? Do they read passages from the Bible, and if they do, do they exclude Leviticus's entries against homosexuality?

4. No One

Growing up as the son of a Non-Denominational Preacher I have experienced first hand the friction that can occur between religious parents and their LGBT children. How do you suggest that a LGBT youth, along with religious parents, deal with this situation?

5. yourillusion

Any advice for folks who grew up 'in the church' and who now that they've accepted their sexual orientation have begun questioning their faith (despite being involved in a welcoming church)?

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

First of all, I think what EC is doing is amazing!

How do you handle the different points of view that your family members may have about homosexuality?

Assuming that a lot of people in your church oppose your views. How do you handle their comments? Have you ever had a serious confrontation with anyone in your church?

What is the best way to help someone who is struggling with their sexuality and faith?

7. Charme

Charme Guest

I would like to add on to your question if you don't mind :slight_smile:

If they do exclude entries from Leviticus, why?

Do they exclude other parts of the Bible aside from Leviticus? Why or why not?

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey peeps,

I'll be getting the questions submitted to Kathy in about 24 hours time. If you want to submit a question then it will need to be done soonish. :slight_smile:

Martin.

9. djt820

Here's 3 questions. I don't care which one is chosen by the staff (If any at all). I mean no offense by these questions. Only 1 is LGBT related. All are about faith.

What would you think if your interpretation of the bible is wrong and that homosexuality is a sin. You die and you're being judged. You're being cast down into hell. What would you think of the world and reality as a whole at that time? (assuming one could think after they die)

Also, I've read a lot about excluded books of the bible. (Ie, the book of Judas) Why are other supposed books of god excluded? Did god not approve of them in the end? How is that even possible?

Last question: Let's say that you're born and you live in another country (Like India). Most likely, you'd be Hindu. Isn't choice of religion something that you're born into and you are "taught" to believe from a very young age? Is that kind of unfair?