1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic Bishop Tobin lashes out at R.I. leaders for pushing gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.projo.com/news/politics/content/TOBIN_ON_GAY_MARRIAGE_01-08-11_U0LRPF2_v23.507965.html

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's true. Gay marriage brings more money into the state. Plain and simple. Economists will agree

3. Echo02

Echo02 Guest

Religious leaders really need to stop making comments about Government matters. I think it comes from a general frustration of a lack of the ability to control everyone. They are losing control of their own members, so, they turn to the next most vulnerable groups. And it is about their loss of money from their own members they fear. Nothing to do with moral lessons ( for what value they are coming from relisious tennets).

4. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    This title made me laugh because I once knew a devoutly Catholic and incredibly slutty girl with that last name.

5. Emberstone

I giggled most at the lashes part... then I realize this was not another article about a religious leader being caught naked at a dominatrix den.

6. Fintan

Interesting that this debate is between the Roman Catholic Bishop vs the devout Episcopalian Governor of RI. Just a decade ago these Churches were in talks about recognising each other fully and the Gay-Marriage issue seems to have furthered the divide between the Catholic Church (anti-gay stance) and the Episcopalian/Anglican Church (increasingly pro-gay stance).

7. Ichi42go

Can anyone say "separation of Church and State???". I mean, I don't really care if people fight against it and lose, but the fact that an argument form a religious authority is expected to have pull in the matter just makes me facepalm... I mean, the Catholic Church doesn't even really recognize marriages between a man and a woman unless they are both Catholic, so the fact that this is a different issue to them just seems ridiculous really. I mean, they can have their opinions, but keep the government out.

And does anybody really buy the "economy being the real issue" thing? I mean, the Catholic Bishop wouldn't even look in this direction if they were working on a bill that would require all citizens to change their socks twice a day...

8. kwyjibo

That was the best-put argument I've seen for ages. Spot on there.:eusa_clap

9. Fintan

I also would prefer that religious leaders... heck all leaders just stop making anti-gay comments, especially when it is meant to negatively affect how government treats us. However, this is a far cry from wishing that religious leaders stop making comments about government matters. I support religious leaders, heck all leaders when they sway government legislation for the good of all, such as providing more for the poor, hungry, homeless, etc. Heck, I'd even stand with the Pope today as he called on the Pakistan Government to stop condemning those to death who slander the name of the Prophet Mohommed (could you imagine if Americans were put to death for taking the Lord's name in vein?).

I work for an elected official, and while I have been approached onced to restrict the rights of gay students at a Catholic School, more often than most, the Churches visit to talk about the homeless, the poor conditions of their women's shelters, the lack of food at their food banks and the need to give more aid to Africa etc.

And to this day, I know that when I can't get help for those that call me in need from within some government program or a local charity, I can always call up a local Church to provide money to pay someone's heating bill for the month, or provide funds for dental work or childrens clothes etc.

I guess I see the church doing more than just condemning us.

10. biisme

Being from RI I am happy that finally some people are pushing for gay marriage. Our last governor was a twat.

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea, Tobin can go suck on a 9-volt. His church can still reject whomever they want. Stop getting in the way of the churches that DO want to include gay couples. This is civil marriage and once gay couples are included we'll be a lot closer to the American ideal of liberty and justice for all. I'm glad so many other countries have shown us how to do it. :slight_smile:

12. Fintan

Hear Hear! Two Lesbian clergy were married in the Anglican/Episcopalian Cathedral in Boston last week!