1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canada Catholic School Chair Compares LGBT Students To Nazis

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pseudojim, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://education.change.org/blog/view/canada_catholic_school_chair_compares_lgbt_students_to_nazis

2. Emberstone

I am reminded of the fact that the current pope was a active member of the hitler youths, and the catholic church turned a determined blind eye away from the atrocities the nazi regeime was enacting upon europe during the whole of the war and the resulting holocaust. Also, the historical reality that both the catholic church itself, along with many of the protestants *martin luther being a major one* spread anti-semitisem for centuries before the nazi movement started, and anti-semetic rhetoric has its historical foundation deeply within catholic dogma and teachings.

and she is making a comparision to nazi's, and gays...

disgusting, because the nazi's massacured gays along side jewish populations, and that the catholics treatment of gays is reminicsent of their treatmeant of jews for the vast majority of the church's history. Basically, this woman is acting like a nazi herself, and the GSA students are the victims she is scapegoating.

3. Nomad187

You know what is sad. I am from Halton. And in my town there were 2 catholic schools. one high school and one k-8. most every other school has a GSA

4. midwestblues

At least she's willing to openly demonstrate how intellectually weak she is by resorting to Nazi comparisons.

5. Kata

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think that it was obligatory to become member of Hitler-Jugend at the certain age and people didn't have a choice. I think it's a bit too strong to say he was an active member, because not everyone who was forced to belong to the organisation supported it and agreeded with its policy.

Also I'm Catholic, and really can't see how anti-semitism has its foundation in Catholicism. My country has strong Catholic tradition and majority of people are Catholic. Before WWII, in my city Jews constituted 40% of population and there had never been any serious problem with that.

I think her coment was really outrageous but I don't think you were fair.

6. Nomad187

I have met her, and bitch be trippin.

7. RaRa

"omg Canada sux im gonna move to the USA."

Sry it just had to be done.

8. Fintan

I think this story has been taken waaaay out of proportion.

Yes, the -last- School Board at its final meeting did ban Gay-Straight Alliances, which were part of a sweeping ban on many types of groups. The old School Board argued that Gay-Straight Alliances "imply a self-identification with sexual orientation that is often premature among high-school students."

However, as of January 01 the New School Board took office, including an openly gay trustee, 22-year-old Paul Marai. Marai has since defended Chair woman LeMay, stating that "I do know her to be quite a tolerant and accepting individual." While the Nazi comments were off base, I don't think she is as "out-there" as her comments made her sound.

On Tuesday, the Board is to reconsider the policy made last year and Ms. LeMay said she didn’t know yet whether she would vote to support the ban or to repeal it at Tuesday’s meeting.

9. Emberstone

Anti-semitsem is deeply apart of christian history. I am protestant *lutheren to be exact*, and even I am aware of martin luthers anti-semitsem.

jewish people were scapegoated for centuries by the catholic church, and that is recorded fact: http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/mine/timeline.htm

I am not saying catholics today are anti-semetic, but the history is wekll documented.

my point is that it is ironic that she is comparing gays to nazi, yet the dogma and history of the catholic church influenced the nazi regieme's view of jewish people, and the jewish faith.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was waiting for someone to say it hehe

11. Fintan

Anti-Semitism was quite common in Europe prior to 1950 and was propogated by the Roman Catholic Church and some Continental Protestant faiths as well, as they were located in Europe during that time. Much of the early Catholic rhetoric was based around the idea that "The Jews Killed Christ" and the simple fact that the "Jews" were pretty much the only people living in "Christendom" (Christian Europe) that were openly not Christian and unwilling to convert. But most modern scholars would suggest that the Anti-Semitism in Europe was more of the Jews being the "minority" and the "other" in a homogenous society than it was due to Roman Catholic dogma.

However, while early researchers did damn the Catholic Church for acting "seemingly" neutral during WWII, today many documents seem to disprove this and in fact suggest that the Catholic Church was against the NAZIs due to Hitler's treatment of the Church. While the Church may not have been a major player with the allies, it did what it could without risking the NAZIs destroying the Vatican (We recall that the Vatican was essentially an island in enemy territory). In fact there are many stories of Priests and even the Pope hiding Jews within Churches and Church properties. However, we also must remember that the world didn't know that the hallocaust was occurring. Many believed Jews were being moved to work camps.

I do however think it is a far stretch to suggest that anti-semetism was created by Catholic dogma and teachings. That's simply not true as it was around prior to Christianity.

Note: I am not a Catholic but an Anglican/Episcopalian, a Church with a better record regarding the treatment of Jews than the treatment of Catholics! haha