1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inside the Westboro Baptist Church

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/54411/inside-the-westboro-baptist-church#index/0

2. Fintan

Fred Phelps is 89. What are the chances that this church will implode once he is dead? I mean, its basically just his immediate family.

3. Shevanel

I don't think Shirley Phelps-Roper will stop once he's dead.

4. Fintan

Yeah... but will the Church follow her?

5. midwestblues

Yes, they will. It's the power of indoctrination. Religious folk don't suddenly come to their senses with the death of their founder, as evidenced by the many longstanding religions around today.

#5 midwestblues, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  6. maverick

Even though his subject matter is frequently abominable, I have to say this Karen fella is a pretty awesome photographer.

7. Fintan

I wouldn't be so sure. You might be right about this case. But plenty of one-of-a-kind churches fall apart after the founder leaves/dies.

Heck, look at the Roman Catholic Church, they now recently started appointing an 'interim' priest after a long-term priest leaves a parish, because the congregation tends to immediately dislike the replacement and many leave the church. But, they have discovered recently that by appointing an interim priest, the congregation dislikes him but then, has a much better chance of liking the guy after him, who will then stay long-term.

While I come from a mainstream, pro-gay church, I know when our female priest left, many people disliked the male replacement and left the church either completely or joined another church. However, since he has left, some have returned, but then some have left again because they don't like his replacement.

No to suggest that the Westboro example, is anything like the Roman Catholic or Episcopal Churches, but people generally don't like change.

8. Allecto

The kids look so miserable during the protests. It's so heartbreaking. :frowning2:

Has anyone else read "Addicted To Hate"? Fred Phelps is a complete sociopath.

9. midwestblues

Really? The kids don't seem to have any major qualms in the footage I've seen.

#9 midwestblues, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  10. Allecto

I was talking about the pictures in the OP.

11. starfish

That I don't doubt. The true question is does she have the capability to lead the church once that happens.

What is funny is that Fred Phelps was once a civil rights lawyer. Talk about a fall from grace.

12. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

After browsing through the Wiki on the Westboro Baptist Church I would encourage this over-the-top troupe of unintentional comedians to stay the course in doing more to undermine the credibility of anti-LGBT funny-mentalists than the combined efforts of nearly every pro-queer group on the planet.

13. midwestblues

You mean the Wikipedia page. Don't scare me into thinking that someone had actually devoted a whole Wiki to them.

+1

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm thing is Shirley Phelps-Roper has been doing a lot of leading like with interviews and shit...so seriously this might continue...

15. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

I stand corrected midwestblues. :slight_smile:

But now that you mention it, any group of consensus builders this effective...

"...A frequent critic of the WBC is political commentator Bill O'Reilly, who regularly calls the church "evil and despicable."[139] Documentary filmmaker Michael Moore has also criticized the church...."

...deserves its own Wiki! :grin:

16. Munyal

Personally, I like Westboro. Who better to make people support LGBTQ than haters of that scale?

17. starfish

Just thinking. When Fred Phelps kicks the bucket would they picket his funeral?

18. Doku

Out Status:
    Some people
    Why don't we picket his funeral, using the same legal techniques they did to other funerals?

19. The username

I think this statement has a lot of merit to it. My brother, the only person I fear coming out to, said he was offended by being compared to Westboro (since he is very outspoken and all).

Anyway, two people quit the church recently:
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/02/07/182257/granddaughters-of-fred-phelps.html

20. Maryam

The westboro baptist church is crazy...they picketed the funerals for the children of Sandy Hook because Connecticut either approved or is in the process of approving gay marriage and they thought the shootings were Gods way of punishing everyone...