1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohio University will allow men and women to live together in residence hall rooms

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/01/ohio_university_will_allow_men.html

2. Clowstar

and yet again, kent state is behind.
    oddly enough, one of the first schools to have a gay rights activism group and we are currently testing gender-neutral housing. it is just one genderqueer (biologically male) student living with a cis female roommate on an all-female floor. it's going really well, but we've been fighting with residence services for a few years on this.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How oddly realistic that men and women would occupy the same room?

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know right?? I really wish that Kent would get on this. They might now though because they could possibly lose people because we don't have this option. In other words, this might light a fire under their asses.

I'm glad that another university in Ohio is offering this. I hope that more schools can continue to offer this to students.

5. Clowstar

we told them that last year too. i don't think they'll listen until they see money funneling to other places because of the rules we have in place.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I ment by the "fire under their asses thing". If they start seeing students go to Ohio University because of this, they may be more open to doing this type of thing.

Annnnd... I just realized that this thread is from 2011. I feel like an idiot now...

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    #7 OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This happens in a traditional rooming situations as well. You can live off-campus with people of the opposite gender and have the same risk.

9. Ianthe

The option is only for sophmores, juniors and seniors. Meaning, it's intended for students who choose to live together, it's not random room assignment with strangers. They are not putting women in rooms with random men. For the most part they are requested roommates, is my understanding.

I actually think it would be great for lesbians and gay guys to room together to avoid the whole "I'm in love with my roommate" thing. If your sexual orientation is in line with it, living that closely with someone makes it really likely that you develop feelings for that person.