1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same-sex couples mark 10th anniversary

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sokk, Jan 14, 2011.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  2. Fintan

I remember watching this on tv with my parents at dinner time!

The United Church is the largest protestant church in Canada btw. Yay for acceptance by mainstream Christians!

3. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, better than Norway. We actually have a state church, that gets funding from the state. And they have the option to not marry gay couples according to our new marriage law. So of course they opted out. They won't even consider changing the liturgy for gay couples!

Our government didn't want to force them when they made the new law, because after all we have "religious freedom". And I'm sorry, but that is fine when it comes to all other churches, but this is our state church. Which means the government is indrectly supporting discrimination by giving them the option to not wed gay couples. They wanted the Christians to change their attitudes towards gay people and gay marriage, but they wanted it to come naturally, blah blah.. It's all BS imo.

At least gay couples can get married, but they can't have a wedding in church unfortunately. But I hope this will change in the future. At least some priests offer "blessings" to gay couples, which isn't exactly a wedding, but I guess it's better than nothing. Oh yeah, and our state church is supposed to be "liberal" compared to other churches in Norway. So safe to say, no other churches want to wed gay couples either. It's sad, but like I said.. I hope this will change in the future.