1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The therapist who claims she can help gay men go straight

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-claims-she-can-help-gay-men-go-straight.html

2. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

LMAO... Enough saidxD

3. concklin

Hmm...part of me thinks that she's wrong to include homosexuality "therapy" in her practice.

But another part of me thinks this is kinda overkill. I mean, it's not like she forced her views on anyone. She tried her "therapy" on someone whom she was made to believe wanted the treatment.

It's nice to know that she's been exposed for her unethical practices, but it still seems a little bit messed up.

4. midwestblues

She's accredited. As an accredited psychotherapist, she holds a responsibility. She grossly neglected that responsibility by even acknowledging conversion therapy as a psychologically sound procedure. If she and her son want to partake in brainwashing sessions on their own time, that's their choice. It has no place in her professional line of work.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She'll lose. It's unethical and I don't see how they plan to win.

6. Ugh. Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about "ex-gays" or "gay cures" or whatever?

I just feel so bad for all those gay people who feel like being gay is an illness that needs to be treated. Especially because the idea that gays can be "cured" is not scientifically supported. At all.

7. midwestblues

No, actually. I find the concept quite amusing, and the inevitable failure that occurs with every treatment is only more evidence for the cause of equal rights.

8. secretstache09

I read a comment somewhere today about how all gays were raped or didnt get enough attention as a child, then they turn gay. He then goes on to say we should trust him because he has read up about it lol. I lold hard.

9. That's actually a really great point, but I just think it's sad that who I am has to be irrefutably scientifically proven before I get the rights I deserve.

And the only problem is that "ex-gays" are giving testimonials and as long as the anti-gay groups are seeing that, they will believe it's possible to cure us, no matter what's proven and what's not.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait I was raped?....hmm....I knew that mall Santa was doing something odd back then. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I couldn't resist)

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have mixed emotions on this.

On the one hand, I totally applaud the British authorities for strongly rebuking this woman and stripping her of her license. All these people do is create false hope and make their clients even more miserable than they already are.

On the other hand, I get angry because I've seen firsthand the effects these well-meaning but ignorant people can have. A gay friend of mine who was struggling with a drug addiction went to therapy with a theraipst recommended by his conservative Baptist parents.

The woman was a licensed psychotherapist with a Christian orientation, represented herself as experienced in addiction treatment, and zeroed in on his same-sex attraction as the cause of his addiction. During the second session, she told him that "his only hope was to open himself to God's mercy and let God heal his homosexuality." This after demonstrating that she didn't even know the difference between cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine. He came out of there ready to go and look for more drugs (he'd been clean for several months.) We talked him out of it, and helped him find an actually qualified therapist.

I wrote a lengthy email to this woman basically saying "You're in no way qualified to treat addiction, and your intervention was so far outside of accepted psychological practice that you should have your license revoked. For God's sake, please don't ever try to treat an addict or a gay or lesbian client ever again, or I'll report you to the California licensing authorities" but I decided not to send it because several friends said that it would probably end up starting a huge pissing contest.

And... there is another community for male abuse survivors where I post where a significant number of the members are deluded into believing that they can change their sexual orientation. I'm sure that those members would be outraged at the horrible injustice being visited on this quack therapist. But no matter what, they don't listen to reason and live in this fantasy world where, even though they've been trying for 20 years, once they find the right therapist, they'll get rid of their "unwanted same sex attraction."

12. midwestblues

Yes, it is sad.

There are far more testimonials from failed conversion therapy survivors than there are success stories. There's always going to be the deluded summabitch who thinks that he's been "cured" into a life of heterosexuality, and there are always going to be bible-thumpers who ignore logic and evidence (as per usual) and believe him. It's just a matter of time before someone catches him sucking cock behind the dumpster at Wendy's.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sad thing is they don't pay attention to the testimonials of "ex-ex-gays" like oh I dunno...the FOUNDERS of Exodus International?