1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black ministers: Dr. King supported civil rights, not gay rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://chicago.gopride.com/news/art...dr-king-supported-civil-rights-not-gay-rights

2. midwestblues

The worst type of hypocrites are the ones who claim to know what the struggle against oppression is like, and who then turn around and unreservedly dish out such oppression themselves. On the surface, the act seems evil, but I feel the word "evil" carries the connotation of a thought process with it, something these men don't deserve to be credited with. These men are simply the essence of stupidity. I'd love to know what gives these leeches on society's ass the right to speak for the infinitely more gracious Dr. King.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just sad to me. I mean it just makes no sense why a discriminated group would go to such lengths to prevent other discriminated groups from getting rights...though frankly if you think about it, discrimination happens even in our own gay community :frowning2: Discrimination will always exist even in discriminated communities and it's just pathetic.

4. crystaltriforce

these hypocrites remind me of this

[​IMG]

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. midwestblues

The ignorance is simply astounding. Their sense of entitlement is far more sickening than white people who oppose equal rights, because for them to do what they do requires them to actually dispose of empathy, rather than just never possess it in the first place.

7. confusedgirl

nothin but dry desert here no beach either
    so let me get this straight after years of fighting for our rights two preachers think they have the right to divide civil and throw out gay rights like a piece of trash? wow these idiots forget that Martin Luther king was an activist of wrong doings meaning he was on the side being misstreated, his wife was right if he were alieve today he would have supported gay rights without a doubt. It's people them that just piss me off for discriminating agaisnt a person by the skin of their color, gender, and sexual orientation when can we ever get along?

#7 confusedgirl, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  8. Emberstone

Who knew MLK Jr. better, a bunch of homophobes who likely had no contact with him? or his family, who all follow his lead, and stand up for the rights of ALL AMERICANS, including gay people?

this smacks of bill o'reilly and glenn beck, but who perodicly try to co-opt MLK, and claim that they, not the LGBT people, are the true fighters and owners of the civil rights movement while they make racist comments, and deny lgbt people equality within society.

the far right needs to pull their heads out of their asses.

9. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I'm not a fan of this type of logic, I've seen it elsewhere as well. Basically what it says is that we took away your rights for a hundred years and now that we've given them back to you you are obligated to do things.

It's unfortunate that the black community doesn't always support gay rights but they shouldn't be obligated too or be guilted into it just because white people denied them their rights in the past. The whole point of having rights is that you get to think and say what you want.

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2011 at 03:54 PM ----------

Like this just seems racist to me. Why should black people be obligated to support gay rights?

10. crystaltriforce

that's not what it was saying, it was pointing out the hypocrisy of denying civil rights

11. midwestblues

Black people should have had equal rights all along, but the reality is that they didn't. The reality is that they know what the pain of oppression and discrimination feels like, and some of them, instead of using their experience as motivation to oppose the evil of oppression, are now willing to pass that pain onto others without a second thought.

They're not obligated to. They'll just be labeled, accurately, as despicable closed-minded hypocrites if they don't support the extension of civil rights to LGBT people.

12. RedState

well, the truth is no one truly knows what Dr. King's stance would be on LGBT issues. One would assume, simply by studying the history of him and his movement, that he certainly would be in full support of them.

I don't think this has anything to do with Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Beck. Homosexuality, for whatever reason, is extremely frowned upon in the African-American community..at least that what the black gays I know tell me...and some extremely resent the comparison of the movement.

#12 RedState, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  13. secretstache09

I'm black and this is why it took me so long to come out even to myself. This is what we are told in church, that homosexuality is wrong and if you "choose" that lifestyle you will go to hell. Now of course not all of us are like that, like my mother who is a christian and but believes for civil rights and equality for ALL. And to me this is what is most important. Dr. MLK did not tout civil rights for just black people, but for all people. A lot of my folks seem to forget that.

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2011 at 08:54 PM ----------

Its true. I will vouch for them. One thing that is a big part of the black community is church. During slavery after the slaves were introduced to Christianity, it became one of the few things they could look forward to, that God will deliver them from the pain and suffering they were enduring. Fast forward 150 years and the Bible and church is still a big part of our community. Because of that, and the bible's teachings about homosexuality (which I admit I know next to nothing about because I have never really read the bible) tells us that it is wrong, there for if you do it, you will go to hell.

14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    This is not the right attitude. Oppression will never be overcome if the oppressed can't see past their differences and unite. Coretta Scott King and Yolanda King, both since deceased, were ardent supporters of the gay rights movement. It is disrespectful of the King family to hold such prejudice.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're technically correct - Rev King was fighting for the rights of his people, not homosexuals. But that simply means we can't piggyback our struggle on the back of theirs, and it certainly doesn't mean that our cause isn't just. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. secretstache09

Dr. King was definitely fighting for his people, but his message was never singled to only black people. He felt equality for all no matter what race or creed. I think thats what separates him from men like Malcolm X. His message was peace and equality for all, and that's why hes a great American hero and not just a great Black American hero.

17. midwestblues

King's message transcended race. His concern was for humanity.

18. secretstache09

Funny, I brought this up a lil bit as my status on facebook. The majority of my friends on Facebook do not know I'm gay, and majority of them are black. Well of course someone commented saying that they dont remember anything about gay in the speech. I guess equality for all people really means equality for all people except gays.

19. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

What you're saying is that:

Black people unjustly had their rights taken away.
    Black people won their rights.
    Now black people should be on our side because they were oppressed.

So, because white people unjustly oppressed black people they must now support every minority. This basically means that white people created the expectation that black people should support gay people. It just sounds racist.

And Dr King saw the 'enemy' not as 'despicable closed-minded hypocrites' but as good people who just needed to be won over by love and truth.

20. Beachboi92

^ the idea isn't they have to. The idea is that it is hypocritical for them not to. Just like it is hypocritical for a gay person to not support equal rights for gay people. And the fact is that what they are doing is contradictory in a lot of ways.

While the civil rights and woman's rights movements are perfectly parallel to the gay rights movement, together those fights form the basis for why LGBT rights should be supported. However i do feel a stronger inherent connection with woman's rights (the idea that gender doesn't matter).

But overall all of these movements deal with ending discrimination and giving a minority or oppressed group the same rights and opportunities that the majority has. The real problem is the same as it is with any ant-LGBT group, the people in it haven't really taken time to consider or empathize with the opposing group or really challenge their own beliefs and the root of the problem is in ignorance and close mindedness. The thing is it isn't a matter of race it is the same issue with anyone who is ant-gay.

The difference is african american people are already exposed and placed in the position of LGBT people as a result of being african american. They are exposed to discrimination and unequal treatment. So in theory they are much closer to being able to empathize. I don't think you will meet an african american person who believes civil rights was a bad thing, heck probably not even many who REALLY believe woman's rights to be all that bad and yet despite those sharing the same underlying idea these people still believe in different treatment for LGBT people. That is what makes them hypocrites.

It is not wrong of them to not support because they are hypocrites. It is wrong of them to support because LGBT rights are a morally good thing and to deny people equal treatment is wrong. The fact that they are hypocrites is simply a method for showing the ignorance of their views, the basis for that is that it is contradictory and showing a contradiction is a method for which to logically prove an argument.

In conclusion. Black people are not obligated to support our equal rights movement just like white people, women, hispanics, thai, or finish people aren't obligated. However unlike some of those other groups Black people and woman are in a position where they should be more understanding, and where their argument against LGBT rights is weaker due to the fact that to argue denying those rights is hypocritical, when in their position. Everyone SHOULD support equal rights for LGBT people if we all look at it logically but not everyone does. And African American's SHOULD support it more when looking at it in it's most basic logical format. And if we look at women they actually DO support it more than other groups because they are in a position to better understand it.

The issue is that there are emotions involved, which messes with logic. And more importantly there is the church involved in the african american community in a much stronger way than most others and that directly conflicts with logic in a lot of ways as faith is based in an authoritative based knowledge that is a bagillion years old.

im just rambling now xD