1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colorado Springs diocese starts 12-step program for gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.gazette.com/articles/headline-111369--.html#ixzz1BVhTZyGz

2. Shevanel

This is all just technicality. If she wanted to be correct, she would've said "The exercise of sexuality is reserved for baby-making." So she screwed up there herself, becauuuuuuuuuuse there are an extreme few people who actually practice that, if not none at all. They may say they do, but it's going to be damned difficult to find one.

But it's good that it's not any kind of therapy or anything.

3. midwestblues

Horse shit.

Um, yes it is. Did you read the whole article?

#3 midwestblues, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

LoL!!! ^

5. Fintan

I have mixed emotions about this. I know several people that firmly believe that its wrong and they attempt to live a "straight"/abstinent life. Not because of what they have been told but because of what they believe, and they are more than willing to defend it.

I disagree. But I realise that I'm not always right.

Maybe they would find solace in something like this? Heck, maybe the Church would learn something too?

I like this a lot more than discrimination.

6. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I feel sorry for them, my condolences go to this church.

7. midwestblues

The only reason they would believe that homosexuality is wrong is because of the messages religious society sends to them. So yes, it is because of what they have been told, or at least because of what they have heard others say.

Sounds like a great Disney ending. However, in real life, the church will not be receptive to "learning" anything that goes against their program of making gays atone for their sexuality. Perhaps the gays seeking treatment will find solace, if the cult mentality is strong and soothing enough.

Please. This is discriminatory activism at its most thinly veiled. This is a twelve-step program; in other words, homosexuality is being identified as a problem.

8. Fintan

I disagree. Just because people disagree with what you or I believe doesn't mean that they are wrong -- or brainwashed, or can't think for themselves.

Despite your opinions on the Church, many Churches are receptive to "learning" and changing. Heck, look at the Anglican/Episcopal Church -- against homosexuality for 500 years and this month, two lesbian priests were married in a Cathedral in New England.

I completely disagree with your approach. The Church is made up of people who like us, listen and change their minds. I don't think being militant towards them will encourage them to change their minds. And frankly, there are a lot more of them than us.

Either way, working with and within the Churches seems to be the most successful way of changing their stance on homosexuality. I think showing that we are sisters/brothers/parents/friends and fellow parishioners of these people will change more minds than mocking or being militant towards their beliefs.

#8 Fintan, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. midwestblues

You might have a point if there were even one valid non-religious reason for opposing homosexuality.

10. Allecto

Considering Colorado Springs is the epicenter of the Christian right, I'm not surprised at all.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My head hurts...

12. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

"12-step program for gays"

*a-hem* My name is John, and I'm a...