1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pastor Declares “Civil War” After Supreme Court Rejects DC Gay Marriage Case

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.religiondispatches.org/d...r_supreme_court_rejects_dc_gay_marriage_case/

2. Shevanel

Then reject them? Not gonna do you much good. I don't see why they're fighting this so hard. Same-Sex Marriage doesn't really affect people who... aren't interested in getting married to the same sex.

3. midwestblues

Separation of church and state is a very difficult concept for some people to grasp.

4. Emberstone

remeber, people only like the constitution when it pedestals them above anyone who is different. Technically, Seperation of Church and State is not how it is written in the constition, but the sentiment is there, and we cant expect fundie christian right wing nuts to know that, because sometimes, I wonder if they are even functionally literate, since the bible spends more time criticizing their style of behavior than it those gays... but were the ones ruining society, apperently.

oooh, and I do realize that was a huge run-on... I have the flu...

#4 Emberstone, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  5. Fintan

Is it just me or are Americans more excitable than Canadians? I can't remember the last time anyone religious or otherwise suggested a "civil war" on anything in Canada :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Nomad187

Its cause Canadians are awesome for the most part. And any religious nuts tried to start a civil war here they would be smacked down like they were nothing

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG civil war...noooo

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I think some people just need to get attention. Fred Phelps at Westboro Baptist is one such person. Perhaps this guy is another.

9. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Not to mention the separation of church and hate...

10. No One

Same-Sex marriage is not a religious tradition. In fact, marriage in general isnt. Marriage existed long before Christianity came into being.

I agree that preachers have the right to refuse to preform a same-sex marriage, but they dont have the right to refuse people marriage by non-religious means.

11. Emberstone

the constitution protects free thinking individuals from the mindless drones of fundementalist religion. We have a right to our rights, they do not have the right to prevent us from our rights.

12. Kardan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This crap is almost amusing. It's like that one christmas movie, what is it, White Christmas? "Everytime a gay couple gets married, a straight couple gets a divorce." Can't you just imagine that little kid saying that? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    something not widely known but D.C. technically isn't part of the united states of america, and if there was a "civil war" in DC it'd probably get chocked up to domestic terrorism.

14. Charme

Charme Guest

Americans are not excitable... we're all stuck on our sofas and computer chairs :frowning2:

Wut about Quebec?!?!?! D: I thought they hate on Canadia.

Yeah, it is. That's like saying Puerto Rico or Guam isn't part of the United States either. What I think you meant to say was that DC isn't part of any state in the US.

#14 Charme, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  15. Fintan

Quebec threatening a civil war? Do you know about the French and Wars? haha

Just kidding, but nah, I don't think I have ever heard anyone even suggest a "civil war" in Canada. Every decade or so Quebec suggests a vote to seperate from Canada... and then English Canada gives them more money and they sit back down quietly =P

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, no. DC is most certainly part of the US. It is just not a state, and therefore doesn't have voting representation (senators or representatives) in congress, though it does have a non-voting "delegate." There's a long and convoluted history around this, and there have been various moves over the years to grant DC statehood, but nobody (other than DC residents, which aren't a giant political force) has any real incentive to do so. So it's stayed as is.

17. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Wonderful_Life

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2011 at 07:38 PM ----------

There was a time when...

18. Fintan

Hence the just kidding. Its a Canadian thing I guess, the superficial frog-square head rivalry :icon_bigg

19. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Yeah, I'm familiar with that one. I chummed about with some French-Canadian lads when I was 17.

20. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I really doubt any gay couple would wish to be married in a institution where such marriages are frowned upon. I don't see how churches are "forced" to marry gays... Would any of you go, and marry in a church where the priest will give you evil stares and condemn you while you are busy sealing the vows? I don't think so...