1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Interview with Pastor Joel Osteen: "Homosexuality is a Sin"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Shevanel, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwCea-BTbx8[/YOUTUBE]

I just feel it's pretty interesting because of what Joel Osteen says, like at the end when he says how he accepts that he doesn't completely understand homosexuality and all that. It's an interesting thing for someone saying that homosexuality is a sin to admit that they don't completely understand.

2. Yeah, obviously I disagree with him, but you're right. That is really interesting, and almost refreshing because he seems like he views gays as people who are just normal and doing something he doesn't agree with, but that he's not hating all over us either.

I don't need everyone to agree with my being a big homo, I don't need everyone to like it, I just need people to respect that I am a human being and I should be treated like one. I am an adult and not a naughty child. I am looking for the same human connection that everyone else is looking for...I'm not out to tear apart your families.

If more people were willing to listen and to admit they don't understand, even if they disagree, things might change a lot for the better.

3. midwestblues

The old "love the sinner, not the sin" mentality. Thanks, but no thanks.

4. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

LOL

"I don't need everyone to agree with my being a big homo"

Quote of the day!

5. hahahaha I didn't even realize that sounded funny until after you said something.

6. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

"It's wrong because that's what the scripture says"

The scripture: part of a tome whose original authorship cannot be confirmed, and which has been translated & re-translated and re-interpreted by many different people in many different lands at many different points in history controlled by many different regimes-du-jour, each of which had their own often competing economic, political, military & social interests, and yet today's living LGBTQ'ers are expected to subjugate their lives to the say-so of 'the scripture'?

Gimme a break...

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2011 at 08:30 PM ----------

"big homo"

(!)​

7. Oh, do I hear this loud and clear. Everything you just said, and on top of that, the fact that the "scripture" was written by the religious conservatives. most people still probably did rituals for the wind spirits or whatever it is people were doing those days that would be considered a sin.

But the reality is, I live in America and people can believe what they want and say what they want. What they shouldn't be allowed to do is tell ME how to live.

8. kettlkorn

I always thought of the Bible as a religious text, and as such is value free in the realm of politics. I think that is the way that he seems to look at it, albeit from a slightly different perspective than myself. Joel Osteen's message as a speaker is always to uplift people, and make them the best they can be. On the other hand, much of his life and success has been guided by this text, so he doesn't have a real reason to abandon it.

In short, he's kind of riding the fence in this interview. We should be glad he is too, because when you consider things other evangelists are saying, Joel Osteen is very tame. So chill out, the dude ain't hatin'.

9. Mogget

This is an issue I struggle with. I don't much care if someone thinks acting gay* is a sin, but I do care if they preach it, especially to children. Why? Because some little kid listening to him say it's a sin is going to be gay, and is going to have sleepless nights worrying that he'll go to Hell for loving who he loves and for being who he is, or at least he will if he ever acts on that love.

He's going to think he's inherently got a problem and may try fruitlessly to fix it to get right with God. He'll deny himself intimacy which I don't think is psychologically helpful (not so much the no sex part, but I think having someone you're emotionally close to is very important), and will generally live a less-than-full life out of fear.

10. kettlkorn

I understand what you're getting at, and most of the time that is the case. But when he was talking in this interview I discovered something about this guy that is a little different than most others. When most prominent evangelical Christians talk about sin, they demonize it. People use sin in everyday language to refer to something that is inherently evil or bad. But he seems to use it to mean a mistake rather than a condemning act.

I think what I'm driving at is this. It is my belief that if Joel Osteen wasn't a member of a group that largely discriminates homosexuals, he would be a supporter of the movement. I get the feeling that he wanted to say that there is nothing wrong with homosexuals in the interview, but was afraid what the reaction would be among those who follow him.

But I might be full of it... who knows these days? xD

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I liked Piers for a reason :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Mogget

That was my impression, too. Which makes it kind of sad. But it's not uncommon. One of my favorite evangelical bloggers says that it's very common for Christians who don't care much about homosexuality to make a big point of saying it's a sin so that they won't be condemned. It's also one in the eye for those who claim homophobes would still be homophobic without religion.

13. midwestblues

Ikr?