1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOP to push for D.C. gay marriage ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/139863-gop-lawmakers-to-pursue-a-bill-to-ban-gay-marriage-in-dc

2. mydogstewie

Wasn't there a law passed in DC where repeal was impossible?

3. midwestblues

Do they really have nothing better to do?

4. maverick

^ This was my reaction. Jesus Christ, can we get some constructive action out of our government before people start pulling out the pitchforks, please?

5. Emberstone

the house had their chance to block it when the law was put in place. I think they were given 30-60 days, and they did not challange it.

If I understand how law in D.C. is made, congress has no right or authority to overturn a law. they have to have the D.C. council repeal the law first.

not going to happen.

G.O.P. these days are equaling Grungy Old prats.

6. ANightDude

Since when has Congress had the right to run D.C.? Should the city council and the mayor be in charge of that?

7. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was wondering the same thing. Does some dude from Ohio really have any say in how the people in D.C. live their lives? They certainly didn't elect him.

8. Emberstone

the more I think about it, this just seems like a pander vote for the republican to pander to the homophobic voter base within their party. they know they cant get enough votes to repeal healthcare, but they did a vote in the house to pander so they can claim they are getting things done... and as healthcare goes into effect, more and more americans are taking a liking to it.

I think they want the illusion of getting things done for the wing nuts.

9. Beachboi92

the government needs to stop trying to control this aspect of my life. I am not asking for anything special i'm just asking not to be denied the right to marriage that every other person gets.

10. Emberstone

I think it is a safe assement to say that many people in the far right wings consider LGBT to be 3/4th of a person, and therefore, lesser. The republican party would be dead if it did not pander to the fringe of their establishment. Right wing fringers are some of the loudest (and also the most ahistorical in their rhetoric) of all political movements in america these days.

The GOP has more to gain by pandering to racists, homophobes, mysoginst, anti-govermenters, birthers, and fundemental chirstian extremist than they do by alienating these vocal right wing bases.

Why do you think people like palin, bachman, and beck get more attention? because they scream the loudest, and drown out the reasonable republican voices.

11. RedState

Well, it hasn't really gone into effect totally yet...and hopefully, many parts of it will not.

12. IThinkInCircles

As I use sarcasm as a sedative so I don't punch something...

I love that the concept of marriage in this country is a sacred issue, but when it comes to divorce, it's a legal issue.

Whether this makes sense or not, this whole thing makes me think of Southerners who try and argue that the Confederacy tried to secede from the Union simply for "states' rights." Rights to enslave and mistreat human beings. War of Northern Aggression, my ass.

13. Emberstone

the people who are on the losing side always like to try to rewhite/white wash history. Which is why they claim marriage is a institution created by god and religion, when history shows it predates the idea of a judeo-christian religion/god, from which people are challanging our right to marry the people we love.

I know people who still try to claim timothy mcveigh was a left wing anti-goverment gun crazy mercenary. the reality was he was a a fringe nut of the fartest, darkest reaches of the right wing so far to the right that it is unfair to even call him right wing.