1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transsexual differences caught on brain scan

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.newscientist.com/article...rain-scan.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

2. Emberstone

I am always interested in such studies. They also have shown that gay males and gay females have differences in their brains physical structure compaired to heterosexual males and females.

What I find most interesting is that they are doing this with a pro-transgendered effort with the delaying of puberty to help transition at later times be more fluid and smooth. I can see alot of homophobes and transphobes getting up at arms about them, but it would be interesting to see how this would work in the ethical arena.

For children who already exhibite transgender identity, being able to have the brain scan to determeine if they qualify under this feild of neuroscience, to be allowed to delay puberty until they can have, if they choose to, a gender reassignment surgery to connect their physical to their neurological (which is more permanent, you cant dramaticly change the physical structure of your brain).

I think we need more studies to further prove the biological truth of lgbt people. it wont stop the homophobes, but it brings the reasonable, intelligent people who may be on the fence to come over and continue the trend of society moving towards lgbt respect and equality.

3. maverick

This is a really interesting study. Back when I was coming out transgendered I took an in-depth "Sex ID" test online through the BBC to determine gender, and my brain tested out at approximately 75% male, 25% female, based on male-female neurological differences (spatial recognition, estimating time, judging speed, carrying out mental mathematical calculations, orientations in space, visualizing objects in three dimensions, etc. etc...).

I'm pretty sure the only reason I got the 25% female is that I scored unnaturally high in the empathy/emotional intelligence section of the test (reading people's facial expressions).

It was kind of shocking to me to see my masculine brain measured out in a scientific manner, on stuff that I don't really have an opportunity to be emotionally biased about (like spatial recognition).

4. Zontar

I wonder if there'd be anything they can do in infancy to prevent gender identity disorder in the first place.

Knowing the whole nature/nurture debate...probably not, at least not yet. Reading about the case of David Reimer would pretty much explain why.

5. Emberstone

probably not. the technology doesnt exist to rewire/reform the brain, and there would be extreme ethical problems with any such technology.

the study above shows differences in the brain, echoing multiple other studies about brain structure and sexuality/gender identity, which means nature/nurture is a irrelevant issue, because if a physical difference in the structure of a transgendered person shows them having a brain stucture more akin the the opposate of their physical gender, then it confirms what transgendered identified people have been saying for years: they were born into the wrong body.

...similer to how studies have shown physical differences in the structures of the brain between straight males and gay males. it is a physical aspect of who a person is.