1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orthodox rabbi teaches what it's like to be gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://articles.philly.com/2011-01-...hodox-synagogues-orthodox-rabbi-pulpit-rabbis

2. IThinkInCircles

That's awesome.

3. U N Owen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Finally. A true interpreter of God's word!

4. Emberstone

I would like to shake that sage's hand, and thank him for expressing the reality of what this world really needs.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is really cool work he's doing. Why can't they understand the man lying with man to mean something other than gay men in love? Men don't have vaginas so if they want to be all literal then men CAN'T lie with men as they do with women so that's not what this is about. I really think that rule is about men exerting dominance over other men as they do women. Remember at the time it was written, women were property of men. It doesn't mention woman with woman so lesbians are ok I guess.

6. maverick

^ I think this is the most insightful description of this particular conflict I've ever seen, and I think it's one of the main reasons the suicides of the gay youth have been so effective (unfortunately) in encouraging compassion towards homosexuals.

Until we force empathy - and make our pain their pain, as hurtful as it is for us to have to admit it to them - they will never understand.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good point, like the mom in Prayers for Bobby. She couldn't see the truth about human sexuality until her heart was broken by Bobby's suicide. It's tragic people can't open their eyes/mind/heart to this simple truth w/o human suffering and death first. :bang: