1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With a name like....

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MyDecember, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    With a name like GLBT but a community more like GLBTQQCPAR.... should the acronym change to something more broader but shorter to include more people of other gender, sex and sexual orientation or should we tea party* groups out and let them have their own community? At my uni they just use EQUAL as the broad name after other groups felt they were bing shut out. Any comments, no right or wrong answer just a discussion.:smilewave

*(reference to disappointed GLBT groups who tried to join in with the Tea party movement but were shut out to instead strengthen the Log Cabin Republicans)

2. The club at my school that I affectionately call "the gay club" is actually named LGBTQS Pride Alliance.

I honestly don't know about adding a ton of letters to the original acronym, but perhaps it could be changed to more general terms and be more inclusive?

That may not have made any sense, sorry lol

3. maverick

I just call everybody in the GLBTQ spectrum queer. It covers a lot of ground.

4. QuantumBoi

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. Nice solution. I personally think LGBTQA is the most it should be stretched out. It encompasses basically everyone. I mean, it already includes any "Allies," who aren't really a part of the actual community of being gay/trans/etc.

The only acronym that I might have the slightest problem with still is "Questioning," because then it churns up the question "How 'questioning' do you have to be?" Almost anyone could claim to be questioning their sexuality.

5. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It doesn't even have to be an acronym I mean look at the human rights campaign, They are heavily involved in GLBT issues but they also support a wide variety of human rights around the world. Largely a feministic organization. Guess this is more of a hypothetical question than it is factually based. I was just always curious about how lazy (don't take it the wrong way) it came to the idea of just acronym. It became famous at least but ...everybody's doing it lol (I'm not a hipster)

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been told that, out here at least, it's GLBTQIQ (Queer, Intersex, Questioning)

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that the girls may want to kill me for this, but I just don't understand why it can't be GBTISQ2. No offense girls, but lesbian is the same as gay. I've heard plenty of gay women call themselves gay, and frankly using gay and lesbian to separate basically to me is saying "oh let's segregate women from men, have them have their own word". I mean how is "gay" more a male term anyway?

8. Zontar

Do we really have to change everything? I grew up with the term "LGBT." It's easy and all-encompassing.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except for, you know, Intersexuality, Asexuality, Questioning, and Pansexuality.

10. I guess technically I'm a lesbian, but I always just say gay. I prefer it.

11. No One

Personally, I dont like the term "queer". Since it officially means weird, I dont like using it as an equivalent to "homosexual" as that would be saying we are all weird (which while many people think we are, I still dont like it)

12. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

How about:

For
    All
    Gays

:icon_bigg

13. I see what you did there hahahaha

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I do think its kind of ridiculous that we keep on adding letters. Its almost impossible to include EVERYONE.

That being said, we changed the name of our GSA at my college because some people were feeling left out. Its now called Unity GSA. Luckily, no one has complained about it so far. I also know that most GSAs around here have names like spectrum, equal and things like that.

15. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Gay Alphagetti?