1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EmptyClosets Interview: Kathy Baldock Responds

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Martin, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys,

Some of you may remember that a few weeks ago EC allowed members to submit questions to Kathy Baldock, a bridge-builder between the Catholic church and LGBT religious people. She has been busy these last few weeks on a road trip to participate in various events, but she has now responded with the questions that got asked. You can view the question thread and a brief biography of Kathy here: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41962

1) Do you think celibacy is the only proper way to live your life when you're LGBT? If not, do you think the exact same commandments given to heterosexual men and women should be practiced among the LGTB youth? by Jay.

2) For the gay-friendly churches out there, how do they hold their sermons or homilies? Do they read passages from the Bible, and if they do, do they exclude Leviticus's entries against homosexuality? by HauntedLithium. If they do exclude entries from Leviticus, why? by Charme.

3) Growing up as the son of a Non-Denominational Preacher I have experienced first hand the friction that can occur between religious parents and their LGBT children. How do you suggest that a LGBT youth, along with religious parents, deal with this situation? by No One.

4) Any advice for folks who grew up 'in the church' and who now that they've accepted their sexual orientation have begun questioning their faith (despite being involved in a welcoming church)? by yourillusion.

5) How do you handle the different points of view that your family members may have about homosexuality? by TheEdend.

6) Assuming that a lot of people in your church oppose your views. How do you handle their comments? Have you ever had a serious confrontation with anyone in your church? by TheEdend.

7) What is the best way to help someone who is struggling with their sexuality and faith? by TheEdend.

8) Let's say that you're born and you live in another country (Like India). Most likely, you'd be Hindu. Isn't choice of religion something that you're born into and you are "taught" to believe from a very young age? Is that kind of unfair? by djt820.

9) I've read a lot about excluded books of the bible. (Ie, the book of Judas) Why are other supposed books of god excluded? Did god not approve of them in the end? How is that even possible? by djt820.

10) What would you think if your interpretation of the bible is wrong and that homosexuality is a sin. You die and you're being judged. You're being cast down into hell. What would you think of the world and reality as a whole at that time? (assuming one could think after they die) by djt820.

Thank you to everybody who submitted questions, and a massive thank you to Kathy Baldock for taking the time out of her busy schedule to answer the submitted questions!

Kathy would also like you all to be aware that she is happy to respond to any further questions you may have, and that you can reach her by visiting http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/

Martin.

[​IMG]

2. djt820

Atheism is sad? Yeah, alright. Lol.

3. Jay

Jay

Djt820:
    I do understand that you're Atheist, and you had your own life experiences and decisions who brought you to believe in what you believe. If you think there is no "God", that is perfectly fine, as long as you live and let live.

I, however, don't understand your chain of thought.

For us, religious people, we will never understand Atheists. And I consider it to be the same way around, you don't understand spiritual and religious people. And that is fine as well. The beauty in this world is that we can choose our own ways and our decisions are most of the times our own to deal with. The same way I won't ask for someone Atheist to understand my relationship with God, I won't expect anyone Atheist to demand my understanding of their beliefs.

It's diversity and tolerance. We all preach acceptance and tolerance within our society towards our community, and I'd also encourage all LGTBQ people to practice that same acceptance and tolerance within our own little family. The word "diversity" means that we're all different: different to society and different within ourselves too. Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all were straight, we all loved the same music, the same food, the same clothes. If we all had the same belief, if we all loved the same things in other people and if we all had the same upbringings. But well, we don't. And because we don't all we have left is to learn to treat and deal with so many different people and their stuff,

Having Ms. Baldock answer some of our questions was not an excuse to "shove" Christianity down everyone's throats and was not a plot to convert all you guys into Christianity. It was to open our minds to this whole new world that most of us ignore. Most of us believe that Christians are all like Westboro Baptist Church. Granted, some of them are crazy lunatics, but there is common ground between the "normal" Christian and people who practice other beliefs.

That common ground usually is, incredibly, bigger than we sometimes expect.

4. Charme

Charme Guest

And she promoted monotheism over polytheism :frowning2:

Her answers seemed sweet and genuine though :slight_smile:

#4 Charme, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  5. djt820

You are making some very bad assumptions and conclusions, Jay. What Kathy Baldock is doing is promoting her beliefs and looking down upon others (IE, atheism and as well as polytheism, according to Charme). Another thing is, you're assuming I don't "understand" religious or spiritual people and I believe that to be false. Kathy Baldock shouldn't be exposing us to this so-called "whole new world" that you proclaim unless other beliefs are preached for the LGBT community (or not at all). For I think one of the major reasons why the LGBT community is prejudiced against is because of Christianity. Either way, EC is supposed to be a neutral zone when it comes to personal beliefs and philosophies and that means NO person should get a spotlight to push their beliefs unto others (and claim whoever thinks otherwise is "sad").

Now I think it's only fair if EC gets Richard Dawkins to be interviewed the same way Kathy Baldock has been by fellow EC-ers. :slight_smile:

6. Jay

Jay

She is an Ally. She is a LGTBQ activist. She wants all of the religious people who feel they're part of the LGTBQ community to feel that there is a place for them in their churches and in the community as well.

I do agree that having just a Christian speak about this might be a little biased, but majority of the people struggling with their sexuality and their religion are Christians. But wouldn't it be great to have interviews with a Buddhist, a Jew, etc? Yes, it would be very interesting, but I don't know if it would be as helpful.

My points are valid from my perspective. I do think you don't understand our chain of thought and for sure I don't understand yours and God knows I try. However, that doesn't mean I don't understand the fact that you don't want any religion to be "shoved down your throat" and I respect that (now). That is why I don't say it's wrong to be an Atheist, I say Atheists deserve a lot of respect and recognition because they have the courage to step up and defend their beliefs.

Christianity, and specifically the Catholic Church, have done a lot of harm to a lot of people for a lot of years. Interestingly enough, the Catholic people who are knowledgeable about what our church says are sure to love and embrace our LGTBQ brothers and sisters. It's misinformation, ignorance and prejudice the factors that harms us.

I know Ms. Baldock meant no disrespect to the Atheists or the Polytheists, but she beliefs that those are two wrong ways of living her life. And I believe in that as well. Just because I think that doesn't mean I am forcing people to change that. I don't have the right to impose you something you obviously don't want. So, instead of looking at this as a futile attempt to turn EC into an abbey (or convent, don't know which is the correct word to use), look at this as a great way for religious LGTBQ youth to feel good about themselves and not feel like God hates them or despises them, because most certainly he does not.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2011 at 06:32 AM ----------

Adding something else quickly: I also don't agree with many things Ms. Baldock said. However, this struck me as the most important thing we all can agree with:

7. djt820

Sorry bro, but this doesn't seem "respectful" for me. She should have chosen her words more carefully. If religious LGBT members want so much for this kind of bias, then EC should have her site as a resource for those who want that help, not have her religion displayed for all to see. That's just what I think is fair.