1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLAAD Demands Action from NBC/Comcast for Transphobic SNL Skit

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Dan82

2. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    that shits taking things a little far, i'm not talking about the snl skit i'm talking about people bitching everytime someone makes a joke thats glbt related, i watched to the skit and thought it was funny and i'm not offended. some people need to lighten up

#2 the ry guy, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

[YOUTUBE]8djWhqZ4hu4[/YOUTUBE]
    Yep. Cheap 'laughs' at the expense of transsexuals' human dignity.
    *heads off to sign an on-line petition*
    Signed.

Note to: Aaron McQuade, GLAAD's Associate Director of National News

Please set up any future petitions to include we Canadians. :smilewave
    Thank you.​

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be interested to see some thoughts and input from some transgendered people. Personally, I'm able to laugh at myself a lot, and I can see myself being able to laugh at similar stereotyping and caricatures of gay men, but I haven't had to deal with the issues that trans people have.

I do think that there are an awful lot of LGBT people with no sense of humor for this sort of stuff.

5. RaRa

I'm not transgendered but I found it funny...although I'm one to find a shit ton of gay jokes and "inappropriate" skits funny too. That's just my sense of humor.

6. maverick

Thought it was hilarious. I laughed. :lol:

Honestly, even if it had taken a jab at transmen instead of transwomen, I still would have thought it was funny. Kenan Thompson's response to the airport scan was priceless.

I have what would be considered an inappropriate sense of humor in some circles, but I think satire is one of the funniest forms of comedy, and that the capacity to find self-deprecating humor in yourself is highly underrated.

7. roborama

honestly i dont see the big fuss; SNL makes fun of everyone equally

8. maverick

Kind of reminds me when everyone got upset over the Family Guy episode "Quagmire's Dad", where Brian threw up in shock after realizing he'd had sex with a transsexual.

It's funny because Brian has been habitually characterized as not being quite as liberal as he thinks himself to be, and also because the extreme negative or homophobic reaction of some people to queer and transgendered people is laughable, considering how well most of us are already assimilated into society whether the straights realize it or not. We're like the hidden menace. :lol:

But the common thread is that both the SNL sketch and the Family Guy sketch characterized the transsexuals themselves as leading ordinary lives and being fairly ordinary people who go to the gym, hang out in hotel bars, or run companies just like everyone else.

9. concklin

I'm not trans, but I feel like those who are (and actually wish to go through with hormones, surgery, etc.) would see the skit, laugh, and then think "oh, if only it were that easy". But that's just my opinion.

I certainly don't see this as "transphobic".

This^

10. midwestblues

I LOL'd at the skit, and there's nothing wrong with it. I see GLAAD isn't striving too hard to be taken seriously. They've become the PETA of the gays.

11. maverick

I agree. I think GLAAD makes gay activists look ridiculous and overly sensitive. Queers should be protected from discrimination and physical harm - but you can't police satire, because that impinges on a basic human expression.

And let's face it - gay people are inherently hilarious and ripe for the comedic picking.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wcmFoB831c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7moGlHRNi8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uKNmN1u24E&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Now tell me you didn't laugh. :lol:

#11 maverick, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  12. RaRa

I didnt think about it that way...nice find.