1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This kind of comment just kills me.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by thedreamwatch, Feb 2, 2011.

1. http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2011/02/gays-are-risking-us-straights.html

Found this on GoodAsYou and just despaired a little bit...but it was a good response to the offensive comment. I guess I just didn't even think that people were "getting sick of us" as opposed to just being against us fundamentally...has anyone even heard of this?

2. Fintan

I really wonder how old this author is. When I read it I hear a grandparent in their 70s!

3. No, see, I hear an ignorant person who's in their teens. (The kind of person who spends a lot of time arguing about things via comments on youtube videos...) That's a good question though.

I assume it's a young person because most of the older people I know don't go around commenting nasty stuff all over blogs on the internet, but I could be completely wrong here.

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it might just be a mid 30's moron.

5. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

It's probably someone who got fed propaganda by their parents and their church that homosexuality is a sin. I agree, though, those kinds of comments are idiotic. We should get 4chan to internet-rape the author.
    It gets old when people hate something they don't understand, and then they hate it more when they're told they don't understand. lol I see most homophobes as less intelligent people.

6. midwestblues

Most?

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Somebody get me a guitar.

8. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

If you guys go over the responses that have been posted... Most of them seem ignorant to me. =)
    I see the point of of the aforementioned comment posted by the straight individual.

9. maverick

I actually run into this attitude a lot. My own dad said his biggest problem with "the gays" is the fact that they have to "flaunt it" in gay pride parades and whatnot. He says if queers weren't so vocal about it, they would find a lot more support.

I think when some people think of gays, this is the kind of stuff that comes immediately to mind:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it hurts us. Because a lot of the straights can't imagine people like the above raising kids, going to church, etc...they see us as a vocal, disruptive, morally reprehensible and visually disturbing minority.

(I think gay pride looks fun though....)

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again...somebody get me a damn guitar to hit this guy with....

11. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont need his approval, thanks.

12. You hit the nail on the head here, as far as I'm concerned. And like me, you probably think that although some people look or act differently, it doesn't mean they can't raise kids or be a morally upstanding person.

AND the mistaken belief that the haters think we're all exactly the same makes me mad. LGBT'ers are just as diverse in their beliefs, their habits, their looks and preferences as straight people. This should not be an "us" and "them" mentality. Unfortunately, just because I want something to be different doesn't make it so....at least not without the hard work this person's comment condemns.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't need people to approve of me being a big homo. I don't need them to like it or emulate it. I'm not out to convert people. I'm just asking to not be a second class citizen because of it.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

13. midwestblues

Oh good! Then you can educate me on how
    is a rational point, because to me it comes off as an assertion of superiority.

14. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

You are assuming the individual is old. It could be anyone in our society, you are bringing yourself to his level of thinking and making "fun" of him.

Yes, the poster may also have no life and post comments 24/7 on Youtube; very funny. How ignorant of he/she to make those comments is it not?

Yes, a moron.

You were capable of measuring his/her intelligence throughout a comment? You must be a very intelligent individual.
    Yes, because all homophobes are "morons" as previously stated by a fellow EC poster. Also, are you not stereotyping homophobes? As Maverick stated, stereotypes about gays is what may bring comments as the one theDreamwatch linked.

It would be naive of me to educate you on something you are unable to see. However I will say this; your rationality brings your bias into play. After all he/she may feel superior, and maybe with a grain of truth in that. After all we are not all equal in the eyes of our society. Do you think otherwise? Maybe open your eyes and see, that not everything is like the rainbow you wish to have.

Thanks

15. I can definitely see where you're coming from Nat3, and I just want to add that, as far as I can see, the tendency of marginalized groups generally is to lash right back at people who did the marginalizing in the first place.
    That isn't probably the best thing to do, but a lot of times being hurt makes people say things that they don't mean, especially when it's not just one person, but a whole group of millions of people who disapprove of you just because of one little aspect of your life.
    It's a cycle that doesn't help anyone, but I don't think that we're all idiots for getting angry. Terrible things have been said about lgbt'ers as well and I don't place blame for getting defensive.

Maybe we should all just take a closer look at what we're putting out there into the world--that notion I can get behind-- but I don't think that giving no offense whatsoever is going to stop people from giving it to me.

16. Wonderless

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow the world is turning judgemental. O-O
    The world is falling apart even more day after day :/

17. volleyren

I get this sentiment, too. I often feel that if those of us who don't fit those stereotypes well made concerted efforts to become as visible as those who do, more people would realize that, as a group, we're really not that different from everyone else. *sigh* It's a dream, anyway.

18. THIS ^
    This is what I'm trying to get people to do, what I myself am trying to do. If I can surprise the people around me by really speaking up when they didn't even know I'm gay, that could really make an impact.

19. Aya McCabre

Define 'flaunting it'. We don't have pride marches or anything like that here. We still get accused of flaunting it. The same people who spend all day talking about their partner will accuse you of rubbing their faces in it the first time you mention yours. The reality is that some people won't be happy unless they can pretend we don't exist.

20. maverick

I get accused of "flaunting it" for things like wearing cargo pants. You cannot win against the sort of people we're talking about. Your very existence is offensive to them and if they know you're gay, everything you do is uber gay to them because they see you through that lens. Even when we're just being ours normal selves, we're being suspected of deviant behavior.

#20 maverick, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011