1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important: Youth Coming out Seminar- NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beachboi92, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Beachboi92

Ok so me and my mom got invited to a PFLAG event and where asked to do a workshop for LGBT youth on coming out, presenting as a child-parent team.

Our plan was to cover my personal coming out story from both of our perspectives and the coming out of her transgendered sister (mtf). However the seminar is supposed to cover everything about coming out. That includes dangers, when not to, how to deal with un-accepting parents, etc, etc. Now my personal experience was very positive, my experience with my dad was half and half, and my experience with friends was negative with a positive ending once it was all said in done (lost friends got new ones). My mom has NO perspective on how it is tough for parents to deal with having an LGBT child, you could say after a trans sister i was cake to deal with.

What i need from help with from Ecers is
    - How and Why coming out can be difficult for parents
    - what are the stages of grief?
    - What should you do with religious parents?
    - What do you do with parents threatening to kick you out?
    - How do you know when it is a good idea and when it is a bad idea to come out to parents?

(v MOST IMPORTANT v)
    I also need personal short stories about ECers who have had
    -Good coming out experiences
    -Bad coming out experiences
    (^ MOST IMPORTANT ^)

And information that is
    - Anything important to the coming out process
    - Deals with the benefits AND dangers of coming out

I'd really appreciate any help we need to fill an hour's worth of time and get something in order and the seminar was sprung on us very last notice. I would greatly appreciate if there wasn't to much back and fourth or off-topic discussion in this thread it is really important that me and my mom can get something set up FAST. We will be speaking to LGBT youth all around the area and i believe it is happening in a few weeks or sooner xD
    I know a lot of this info i can get via other sources but i needed stories anyways so i figured i'd utilize all the help i could get xD

Thank you so much,
    Austin

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2011 at 03:30 AM ----------

Oh and if anyone has a parent who had a tough time coming to terms with, and accepting them as LGBT but who did come around i would really appreciate if you could get their perspective and post it because we do need plenty of stories to fill our time xD

We are supposed to sort of prepare kids i guess

#1 Beachboi92, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Beachboi92

any help at all appreciated >_>

3. EM68

4. Beachboi92

i read thru those i'm just looking for a little more than that i guess. The thing i need the most is perspective from a parent who really had trouble coming to accept their child.

5. Miss Bubbles

stages of grief are; Denial, disbelief, anger then acceptance my mom has come full circle my dad just started on the last stage.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Err that's slightly incomplete. The stages of grief are actually the same stages that are dealt with at death. Denial, Bargaining, Anger, Depression, Acceptance.

My own mother only got to stage three before I went back in the closet frankly...first she denied it, then she tried stuff like "date girls or don't date at all", and then she was in an anger spiral until I said I wasn't gay. -_-

7. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That sounds really neat. Congrats on getting the opportunity.

-How and Why coming out can be difficult for parents

My family is pretty religious. My dad was a convert and my mom experienced a revival of sorts. Our church doesn't approve of homosexuality. We host events from groups like Answers in Genesis to put things into perspective. So on one side of things, my parents have had to reconcile their faith with my sexuality. My dad hasn't struggled(to my knowledge). He pretty much just accepted as my life and my choice. He believes its wrong but so long as I don't "bring it home" he's ok. On the other hand, it's been a struggle for my mom. She wanted me to join ex-gay groups early on but now she's reached the point where she wants me to be happy even if she isn't comfortable with it.

Beyond religion, theres their upbringing. My dad was socialized to be disgusted by any same sex behavior and it wasn't acknowledged on my mom's side. The first same-sex relationship(that was always labeled a 'friendship') on that side was during my teen years. Essentially, they were socialized to not be ok with it or at the very least to not acknowledge it.

- what are the stages of grief?
    I would guess they are the typical stages. My parents haven't exactly come to accept my sexuality.

- What should you do with religious parents?
    I'm not sure I have the best advice here.

I've chosen to give my family time. I don't know if that's the best strategy or not. With my mother I just remind her now and then "Hey so I went on a date last night" or so "are so and so still together?" My dad werent close growing up, so I haven't really pressed it.

That said, the one thing that worked really well for me was to be firm. I didn't waiver when I came out. I told her that I was not going to see any ex-gay group. Being firm and making it personal I think helped her drop any idea that I could still turn straight.

- How do you know when it is a good idea and when it is a bad idea to come out to parents?

Assuming we're talking about families that won't be accepting, it just depends, IMHO. If you think they will cut you off, I'd probably wait until I was financially independent. If they won't cut you off, then whenever you confident enough in yourself to stand firm and handle their questions/critiques.

And information that is
    - Anything important to the coming out process
    - Deals with the benefits AND dangers of coming out

I'll get back to you on stories. I need to think about that a bit more.

8. Beachboi92