1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues within the GLBT community

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MyDecember, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We have issues, all social groups do. These topics tend to split the bars in half (lol) For example:

The Bi effect: Not a discussion on if it exists but the discussion on how freely bisexuals can move in and out of the GLBT community.

Harry Hays: one of the original founders the Mattachine Society but then tried to include his newly founded NAMBLA group in the GLBT community...do we still consider him a hero?

The Bear movement: The first hipsters of the GLBT community, They felt shut out so they started A LOT of sub groups, leather, BDSM, furries, daddies...

The New Bear movement: New movement that has split the bears in half. A-list bears Vs Chubs vs Traditional image.

HRC: Some people hate 'em, Some people love 'em.

Those are some of the ones I'm familiar with but I mostly know of some that effect the Gay community, I'd be interested to hear if there were any other issues in the lesbian communities. I dont really know about issues effecting you gals. As well as other GLBT community issues.

#1 MyDecember, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Charme

Charme Guest

Pansexuals. Discussion on whether they exist or whether they're just elitist bisexuals.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWvNObmOmE[/youtube]

Example of the discrimination bisexuals go through even in the LGBT world >_> same with transsexuals.

Other things you could definitely argue about is also the femininity and masculinity of gay and lesbian people. As seen with the giving the straight-acting male the "King" role and the feminine gay as "Cook".

And then Drag Queens which is a form of art, but apparently many believe drag is just to be clowns...

4. maverick

To me, pansexuals ARE bisexuals. If you are sexually attracted to anyone, regardless of biological sex or gender, that means you're bi as far as I'm concerned. I'm assuming pansexuals are just sexually open to transgendered folk as well, which as far as I'm concerned shouldn't even be an issue...

Discrimination against bisexuals in general is just ridiculous to me. If anyone wants to defend discrimination against bisexuals, please enlighten me, but otherwise without a good argument for it I consider it a stupid position to hold. I neither believe bisexuals are "experimental straights" or "self-deluded homosexuals". People really can be attracted to both, it's okay.

I don't think pedophilia should ever be connected with the queer community. Jesus Christ, we get enough bad press as it is without people actively trying to drag us through the mud as social deviants and sexual perverts.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm no pansexual is more than a physical level. It's based on being attracted to someone for who they are, not their outer body. It could be slightly compared to Two-Spirited though 2S is more in the Aboriginal community.

6. maverick

Isn't everyone pansexual in that sense then? I mean, who is really only attracted to people based on their appearances?

I don't think pansexuals are elitist - on the other hand, I think people who are only or primarily attracted to people based on their looks or genitals are kind of shallow...but that's probably a bias on my part as a bisexual. I find people of both genders and biological sexes to be attractive, and I'm much more attuned to that person's personality than I am to their looks...

7. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    With respects to the video, its an amazing social experiment. I mean Head of lettuce vocally and logically made the most sense. Makes me wonder, for a group that isn't big into labels we sure like to use them.

From that video I guess Traditional Gender Roles dominating in what is supposed to be an Atypical Gender Role Society is one issue the video brings up.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2011 at 11:33 AM ----------

Can pansexuality be more of a movement rather than a sexual orientation? Personality, Romance and Love was never an issue of attraction until the romantic and enlightenment eras.

What would do we call the opposite of a pansexual?

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's Hedda Lettuce :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For Maverick and Raven:

Would a defining stamp on a pansexual be someone who seeks out transexuals as well as Bisexuals homosexuals and heterosexuals regardless of their gender identity? While bisexuals seek out males and females regardless of their sexuality? Only way I can really imagine there being a difference. Hell, I don't know if that question even makes sense. lol.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know. I'm not pansexual to be able to properly define it. As for the name....it's REVAN not RAVEN. Switch the e and the a...

11. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lol sorry dyslexia got the best of me.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No not dyslexia, many people have made the mistake. It just irks me though for some reason.

13. maverick

I dunno, people who actively "seek out" transsexuals kind of make me uncomfortable...nobody likes to be fetishized. Well, I take that back, some people like to be fetishized, but I'm not one of them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't want someone to want to sleep with me just because they consider me some human version of a unicorn or something. To me there's a big difference between being open to a relationship with transgendered folks versus seeking them out because you get a sexual thrill from sleeping with gender-benders.

14. roborama

geez people are getting heated! well i personally have experienced this somewhat (thread maybe a week ago) that im "too straight" looking, acting, ect. to be a lesbian and it really bugs me. who cares if i wear makeup and dresses? my friends just give me crap because a lot of them fit the sterotypical roles. i thinking maybe its because a lot of them are still in high school and the masculine girls and feminine guys just stick out so they come out faster? because its way easier for me to hide if i so chose. now im just ranting but i definitly feel it

15. midwestblues

So far, I haven't heard a single definition that effectively distinguishes "pansexuality" from bisexuality. Actually, the only definitions of "panseuxality" that I've heard somehow manage to stereotype anybody who identifies as "bisexual" as unable to be attracted to a transgender person, and simultaneously segregate transgenders to the point where a separate sexuality is needed to define anybody attracted to them. Nah. I'm not buying it.

16. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My understanding of pansexuality has been that those individuals don't form relationships based upon physical attraction. In other words, they would date anyone of any size, shape, etc. Sort of a sub-set of bisexuality.

Whereas a bisexual individual may not date people that they don't find physically attractive(like large/skinny guys).

17. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Any discrimination towards bisexuals in the LGBT community is completely stupid.

Pansexuality vs. Bisexuality, like Maverick said, I see Pansexuality as the same as Bisexuality, with one key difference. Bisexuals are physically attracted to the actual genitalia. Pansexuals don't care about whether they have a penis or vagina, but they care about personality, and (I am stressing the following word) ONLY personality.

18. maverick

Guess I should identify pan then, because plumbing doesn't matter much to me.

19. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

If you would feel better doing that, then yes. But personally, it doesn't matter as long as you know who you like. That's all that's important. A pansexual is "(also referred to as omnisexuality) is a sexual orientation, characterized by the potential for aesthetic attraction, romantic love, or sexual desire towards people without regard for their gender identity or biological sex."

20. Chandra

I thought the whole point of the label "pansexual" was to remove the dichotomy created by the word "bi" (two), so as to be inclusive of those who consider themselves to be neither entirely male nor female, but both, or somewhere in between (intersex, genderqueer, two-spirited, etc.). Also, I think some people who identify as pansexual do so because they want to avoid biphobia.