1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass. moves to standardize birth certificates

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...mass_moves_to_standardize_birth_certificates/

2. Zontar

I hear the conservative uproar already.

3. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I don't understand why some Conservatives have to whine and scream about something that doesn't do bad for anyone, and only does good.

They might as well be whining about a starving kid in Africa eating a sandwich.

4. Emberstone

it is called the culture war. It is the hallmark of republicanisem. Make them fear da gay, da muslims, da mexicans, and elevate the well-being of unborn fetuses above those who are already alive. They always have to have a enemy(s) ready to be smeared and feared to try to ignite their base.

5. RedState

Whew! Thank goodness that strategy worked this year! I don't know what we would have done.

In 2012 we're going to try and launch a campaign against the Canadians (they talk funny and use strange looking money, you know)...that ought to really stir them up.

:slight_smile:

#5 RedState, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For all the Conservatives know, he could be plotting to make being gay alright or to have other religions be considered real. The less sandwiches he has the better.

7. Fintan

Aww! I like the Canadians! In fact, I think they're better than the pesty Americans on the bottom half of OUR continent =P

But, I second your point. "Make the fear da gay, da muslims, da mexicans" and we'll reverse it by making Americans "fear da conservatives, republicans, etc" =P Too often the right is sterotyped by its extremes... the left often does this to Christians as well, branding them all as fundamentalists... Don't get me wrong, it happens on the right as well... but that doesn't make stereotyping any better =P

8. midwestblues

And nothing of what you said makes his comment any less true.

9. RedState

I never said that it did. However, if you believe that the right is the only movement that uses scare tactics to stir up their individual base you are sadly mistaken.

10. Emberstone

I remeber when the left was sounding the alarm about the econamy back in 2003-2008, and the republicans were calling those scare tactics... that turned around and bit the righties on the butt, didnt it. they said the lefties were stupid, and that the econamy was strong, and wasent going to collapse.

11. RedState

Ohhh...and I can remember how the left said that by passing the Stimulus Bill that un-employment would not go over 8%

And I can remember how the left said we must re-authorize "Pay-Go", only that didn't apply to their ideas.

And who can forget the fun war waged on the rich every election cycle...they are the modern day boogey man, remember? They are coming to get you.

Do you think these lines happen by accident?

No.

They are all carefully calculated. One of my best friends works for a Democratic strategy firm in DC (I went to school with him and he's a fraternity brother of mine..but that's beside the point). We get together occasionally and exchange war stories.

You would be quite surprised at the tactics that, yes, even the left engages in.

As I said before, the left's hands are far from clean in political manipulation.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hooray for Massachusetts! They've always seemed like some of the coolest americans. Way cooler than west virginians. =P

13. Emberstone

well, if the republicans had not spent the last two years doing everything they can to block any attempts to create jobs promoted by democrats and obama, we may very well have not seen the employment rise to what it is today.

Also, why should 2% of the population get 90% of the tax cuts in the nation when they have done jacksquat to create jobs since getting the tax cuts in the first place. Why not take the tax cuts away, even the playing feild out, and tell them they can get the tax cuts back if they actually bother to create jobs? they got the bush tax cuts in 2001, and 2003, and each time, job creation dropped, and job loss rose... they didnt need to expand to make money. 2% collectively took in about 700billion dollars for doing nothing but being richer than the 98% of america who remained behind, and are the only ones truly hit by the recession that was creater once republicans controlled all three branches of goverment: the top2% were the only sections of society that saw economic growth during bush.

republicans used gay marriage in 2004 to ensure they could protect their majorities, and hold the white house. they used fear of gay marriage to whip up the homophobes and bigotts of their party to ensure they came out and voted so that they, the republican party, could keep their power. They were losing ground on the war on terrorisem (or as it more accuratly was, the war on terrorisem, and the war in iraq based on the threat of terrorisem, but since proven to have had not credible basis in 9/11 and WMDs as we were lied to about.)

The democrats saying if the stimulus is put in effect should help prevent us from going over 8% was a valid statement, not a scare tactic... we would have been able to achieve that if the right wing had actually cared to dig down and get to work on creating jobs. they cared more about ensuring the wealthy 2% got their huge, econamy destorying, deficit creating tax cuts, and doing everything they could to block all legislature, because they had made it clear they wanted to stop any sucess that could lead to obama being a two year president.

now, they have the house, and what are they focused on? not jobs. They are focused on abortion, trying to find ways to undermine the repeal of DADT, and repeal a healthcare law that is more popular than ever.

we have seen more jobs created under the first two years of obama than in the whole eight years of bush. we have seen more across the board economic growth in the first two years of obama than in the whole eight years of bush. We have seen more sucess under the first two years of obama towards issues of equality for women and lgbt citizens than in the whole 8 years of bush.

all of this happened without democrats having to use scare tactics. all through this time, all republicans have done is use scare tactics. They may have gotten the house, but they are still not addressing the real issues facing americans, just like they did throughout the whole 8 years of bush.

We are seeing progress made in LGBT areas, and yes, obama could have been more vocal and forward, but we also have to remeber that a 1st term president by default walks a fine line. They cant tackle the big issue, controvesal stuff as easily in a first term as they can if/when they secure a second term.

It seems to be that bama, you cling to your politics because those were the ones you were raised by.

I was raised by a republican and a right leaning independent, both who never tried to get me to believe anything about the world I could not figure out for myself. 2/3rds of my family *ironicly, the people in my family I am closest to, and have the most respect for* are republicans, though they have grown more moderate as the republican have pandered farther and farther to the far right fringes of our nation. I was raised a christian, in a moderate church that has both liberal christians, and conservative christians. I grew up with a interst in the world, and I studied history. I paid attention to what was happening in my country, what people were saying, and the results of the actions of both parties.

and I saw a incontrvertable fact... the right wing has chosen to stand in the way of social equality. If you are a women, you do not deserve to be paid the same for doing the same work, according to the overwhelming voting record of the republican party. I have seen them refer to the poor and middle class as lazy moochers, and elevate people like the wall street investors and speculators who cooked the books, created predatory systems, and sapped hardworking americans of their livelyhoods, protecting people... oh yes, they blast them in public infront of the camaras, but when it comes time to put rules in place to prevent it from happening, and bring those corrupt people to justice, all of a sudden, the republicans stand in the way.

And they keep ueing 'da gay' to get people on their sides.

during 2004, when republicans wouldnt shut up about how 'gay marriage will destroy society', as quite a few conservative and republicans still are even today, I was struggling with my sexuality. I feared coming out, for every day, a republican was blaming people like me for all the ills of society, saying we were going after children to convert them, and we were all pedophiles. it was a overwhelmingly strong united front of the republican party, a core value and platform, and IT WAS EVIL IN THE PUREST FORM, and a distinctly anti-american, anti-constitution, anti-freedom, anti-liberty pursuit by the right wing.

you listed nothing that involved the democrats trying to make people afraid. What you listed were things they said at one point, that either because of the right wing, did not come to pass, or they changed their mind on.

politicians change their mind, it is true, but if you are going to claim democrats use fear in the way republicans are, actually use something that involved them spreading fear... not them setting out goals that because of circumstance, or gerymandering by the republicans, did not come to pass.

historical fact just doesnt seem to suit you well.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2011 at 09:54 PM ----------

got to love a place where 'american progress' is not seen as a swear word.

14. RedState

Well, I really didn't want to say this: you said that historical reality doesn't suit me. Well, we'll see. but I'm afraid that political reality doesn't really fit your measurements either....perhaps you should get a new haberdasher my good man...because the suits you have been getting simply leave your ass hanging wide open.

You Know....i think you may be on to something here...I'm going to become I liberal I think. Yes...that's the ticket! I'm writing a letter to American Express first thing next week saying that it wasn't my fault that I bought the ShamWow's...George Bush made me do it. Hey I like this! I wonder if it will work for the power company.

Well, when the idea for giving Social Security receivers the OPTION of taking a small portion (up to 5%) to invest in low-risk bonds and stocks...well, that was all she wrote. ted Kennedy and the DNC were out on the airwaves for weeks saying that we were going to take away SS and kick grandma to the curb. Nothing was further from the case.

Even though most African Americans agree with conservatives on social issues (anti-gay, anti-abortion) they still vote overwhelmingly democratic. The reason? As my consultant friend told me: Infiltrate the church and put the issues out the window...it's about the whites trying to move them from their hard earned placed in society...and only democrats can help them...regardless if they disagree with just about everything socially...cast that aside, because if we let the republicans win it will be our downfall.

And that came..not from me...but from a Democratic strategist who helped organize Barack Obama against Hilary Clinton...and in turn against John McCain.

Ahhh...2004, that was a brilliant campaign wasn't it? I mean, regardless if you agree with the issues at hand, one must admit the completely brilliance of the campaign strategy.

More jobs in 2 years...interesting. How many are total numbers, seasonal numbers and how do you calculate that with the figure of people who have simply stopped looking for work? Because there was a recent report that was on MSNBC (hardly a conservative network) that said close to 1.8 million new jobs have been lost. This was just a clip there...and I don't know how they got the numbers.

Well, obviously Ember, if you are black and fall out of favor with the left you have no place in society. And, as the one leftist protestor said in relation the Justice Clarence Thomas (granted that financial blunder was absurd...but hey! it worked for Geithner!) "He needs to be put back into the fields" and the gem: "He and his wife need to be roped or strung up" Seriously?
    Yes...these are certainly words that heal...not wound as the President reminded us.
    But, that's okay. Because, you see, these are just people from the left saying this....they are simply trying to highlight their cause. If that had been a conservative it would still be on the front page of the new york times.

But note: SCOTT WALKER WILL DESTROY YOUR FAMILY!
    SCOTT WALKER=ADOLF HITLER (someone remind me here, just to keep me accurate, when was the governor involved in the who Jewish thing?)
    And yes, the numerous signs with the cross-hairs at Walkers head stating: Take Aim!

It seems that the civility memo got lost to you folks on the left. Check the post office tomorrow.

Where is the President with his talk (which he was rightful to do so) about calming down the tone. But this is for the unions...so he has to give a little to get a little. It's simply how Washington is played.

My point: Messages of civility..no passionate speech at all...that simly applies to my people...and I know that. While the left can say any Goddamn thing they want...but oh honey...it's okay! They are just trying to highlight their cause.

Ember, with all due respect, you seem to continue the attitude the it doesn't matter what the left does..it's ok....it doesn't matter how loony the left sounds....that's ok.

Well, not only do you an I live on different coasts...i live in a political reality that I don't know if you have ever quite experienced.

I have, many times, admitted the faults of my party's belief's and inactions. Hell, I've even defended Obama on this site when o thought the commentary demanded it.

But, I got news for you bud, your pristine view of the left...that's not reality bud. I hate to burst your bubble but the left are just as big of shitheads as those on the right.

Hope you enjoy your nite! :slight_smile:

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you need to visit a deprogrammer.

[edit] and also to lay off the unimaginative (and simply not funny) stream of sarcasm. Seriously, the level of unmitigatedly ignorant things that come out of your keyboard.... It really makes me wonder how someone with such good taste in wine can be so lacking in independent thought.

#15 Pseudojim, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  16. RedState

Haha, oh Booo! to you Jim! :slight_smile:
    just having some fun.

I think I am very funny.

But, I think my nonsense (which is being typed at a slightly intoxicated stage) makes some decent points....I may ahve gone around my elbow to get to my ass...but none-the-less. :slight_smile:

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    bah, never mind that. Sorry, i've been in a foul mood.

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In regards to the campaign against Canadians:

[​IMG]

19. Emberstone

i couldn't find the whole video, but in honor of all the bashing of 'america's hat':

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-OSV87FvKE[/YOUTUBE]

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Conservatives have almost no bearing here. Like I'm sure they protested same sex marriage being legalized in 2004 but I couldn't tell you one major protest I saw over it. Just like how a small group of conservatives still try protesting the gay pride parades and literally no one pays them any attention.