1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Md. GOP urges 'no' vote on same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/annapolis/2011/02/md_gop_urges_no_vote_on_same-s.html

2. Emberstone

traditional marriage state that your wife is your property, that your daughter is a commoedy you can sell into slavery, and that beating your wife and raping her against her will are perfectly allowable.

on another point... people tell me the GOP is for freedom, liberty, and rights... whats next? the moon is a chinese conspiracy, and it doesnt exist?

3. V128

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ What he said...

Once again, it's amazing that we're spending valuable government time and money on this B.S.! Ultimately gay marriage doesn't effect ANYONE other than those getting married, and therefore I suggest that our next legislative session be dedicated to outlawing masturbation.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just bored of news like this actually.

5. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I have no words.

6. Beachboi92

i just went to a youth summit today and i believe she said that it passed in the senate and in what i think she called judiciary committee and that all that is left is the house which is 3 votes from getting it. There was no press there so she had no problem releasing the info xD

and by she i mean democratic openly lesbian maryland senator (dont remember name)

7. Bibliophile

Then why would you want anything to do with the institution to begin with? Frankly I could care less what these people have to say as I never plan on getting married again be it to a man or women. Made the mistake once and it turned out badly. Feel no need to repeat myself.

However even being Bi I fail to see why the heck two men would want to take part in what amounts to a pageant to give away the bride and to ensure that any children born of the union are taken care of. I don't need the societal ok for me to spend my life with someone I love nor do I need a piece of paper to legitimize it. Don't give me the whole benefits crap because I know of a million other ways to get all the same legal protections without being married. Frankly it seems to me like a battle that is fought simply because "If they got it we want it." Though I am sure that there are those in the LGBT community that really do want to get married I don't think its as many as those that like to make a fuss over the idea.

8. Emberstone

honestly, just because the religious text devalues the institution that predate the existance of the religion itself, and so many cling to the false belief that 'their' people created marriage, and therefore own it, doesnt mean I would be against being married.

It is about fairness. Heterosexuals screw up marriage at such a rate that if I remeber correctly 3 out of 5 marriages (or was that 2 out of 5, I think it shifts back and forth on a regular basis) end in divorce. Why can't we have a chance to do right by marriage?

If I found the right guy, who as cliched as it sounds, make me feel whole, safe, complete, and we both felt a mutual love for each other, and wanted to make a promise, a commitment to each other, I would love to have that little certificiate that makes clear our commitment... yes, I know it is just a slip of paper, but it still represents something meaningful to many people, gay and straight...

... just sadly, not to the GOP, it seems. to them, its meaning is one more thing they deny others. They can fight it all they want, but they lost the fight over interacial marriage, and they will lose this one too.

9. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I stopped caring about what the GOP says against marriage equality.

They'll lose eventually. o3o

10. Bibliophile

Good for you I suppose. I mean I personally couldn't marry another dude without laughing myself silly at the ceremony. When I got married it was clearly my wife's thing not mine. Oh I did it because I loved her and it was an important day for me but the ceremony meant little. If I was to commit myself to a life with another guy I would much rather have something like the blood brothers ceremony that me and a close friend held. That held much more personal meaning for me then my entire wedding deal did.
    To be honest I really look at marriage as something that has been held up as the ideal for so long that people seek it out because they feel they are supposed to not because it holds any deep and personal meaning to them. That or they feel that if the state gives that that piece of paper that makes it "ok" then they are "ok" too.

11. Emberstone

I guess we should not be surprised.

the same people who ignorantly and incorrectly claim marriage is a creation of religion also think the earth is six and a half thousand years old, when evidence is it is about 4 and a half billion years old, give or take hundreds of millions of years, as we are still working to understand planetary ecretion.