1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hackers threaten to target and eraddicate WBC off the internet

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Emberstone

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/02/19/Hackers_Target_Westboro_Baptist_Church/

2. Zontar

Agree with the ideology, disagree with the methodology. Internet lawlessness is still lawlessness.

3. Connor22

is this a bad thing?

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard of Anonymous. They do some powerful stuff. But is it worth it to call WBC into the spotlight again?

5. Shevanel

Martyrdom is what the WBC wants.

6. crystaltriforce

i think the only way we can deal with the WBC is to ignore them, they're more attention whores then they are homophobes

7. Derek the Wolf

^ if you DDoS the WBC it won't affect anything. Their websites are low-traffic and it wouldn't get media attention from either side. I'd do it for my own personal amusement, but I don't feel like installing botnets onto campus computers to do it. Technically it isn't illegal.... it's a grey area. But yeah, I don't think it would be a form of martyrom. Noone gives a shit about WBC sites.

8. midwestblues

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still wouldn't mind their websites disappearing from the internet.

10. maverick

I don't really care when hackers use "violence" against groups like this. There is never any physical harm done and there is certainly no harm done by the Westboro Baptist Church being wiped from the Internet.

I believe in freedom of expression, but I also believe in merit of expression, and a group like this shows absolutely none. They have nothing to contribute to society whatsoever, except to serve as a human blight, an example of the worst of us.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UMP3AK5jwo[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think people are entitled to an opinion. You earn an opinion by proving yourself a rational and quasi-compassionate human being. Otherwise, no. You can STFU as far as I'm concerned. And kudos to anyone who can force you to do so if they're doing it in the collective interests of mankind.

And this is what I think of every time I see these Westboro people:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMoxZeTeRPE[/YOUTUBE]

11. Fintan

Don't get me wrong, I had a chuckle when I read this article. But at the end of the day I support Freedom of Speech and the Rule of Law. So I can't support this.

Heck, if Anonymous decided they wanted to shut down Pro-LGBT websites, I am sure more than a few people would have a chuckle at it. But would it be right?

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't be surprised if Fred Phelps is a narcissist. It seems like everything he does is to draw attention to himself and his church, under the guise of spreading his gospel of hatred.

13. Bibliophile

I totally agree with you here. I find those that are saying this is fine by them hypocritical as they are most likely the first people that would cry if Anon did this to a Pro LGBT site. You support equality under the law for all or for none this isn't an area of middle ground.

14. Emberstone

DDoS attacks tend to be more about getting attention for the hacker than it is about attacking someone. I suspect that they are doing this for the same reason WBC protests, and that is to get some press. The sentiment of standing up against vulger bigottry is one thing, but at the end of the day, I do not see this, if it actually happens, meaning anything.

I also am afraid it might simply backfire, and given the WBC a legitimate reason to play the victim card, and actually have that be a justifiable thing. They brutalize, slander, and abuse others, and get away with it... lets not give them a reason to have a legitimate claim against us.

It will just make more people see their side.

15. Aya McCabre

If I'd seen the sites I'd probably have tried this myself by now. That sort of thing makes me mad..... but all their sites are blocked here. From what I've heard it's for the best.

I don't think it'd do much though..... I'm not even convinced they'll follow through. It'd get the church in the media again and definitely get them laughed at but then people laugh at them anyway. It won't really change anything.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    best course of action when confronted with idiotic hatred like WBC nonsense .... ignore it.

17. Ridiculous

I won't condone any sort of DDOS attack or any other sort of hacking... but if they're going to do it, this is a better target than any.

Also, did they really spell "Soldiers" as "Soliders" in Maverick's first video? 1:03 minutes in.

edit: they also spelt "legislation" as "legistlation" at 1:24. That news programme sucks.

18. Arex

I personally wouldn't mind seeing these guys off the internet, or even off the planet for that matter, these are not Christians, nothing more than disgusting hypocrites. God does not hate anyone, nor does he kill people for the sake of killing them for that matter as their sites suggest.

But as for a DDoS attack, really, it's not the best way to go through with it though I'm pretty sure if they actually do it, the WBC will just come back in full force somehow. There's always ways around DDoS attacks, though it's pretty expensive :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wonder what they would say if I told them I was a bi furry, man they would have a field trip!

19. Dave

From what I can see it's not a DDoS Attack they're planning, its more of a complete erasure of the sites from the internet

20. Arex

From knowledge of hacking and other areas of that nature this can be pretty hard to do unless you can gain access to the hosting database that hosts the site which can take a bit of research to do, while can still be done it's a bit harder though with DDoS you can take out a website and erase it from the internet by completely overloading the database with roots and botnets, and depending on the framework you can completely crash and destroy the user's database holding the website. Meaning they would have to buy another computer.