1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay soccer fans want separate seating in Euro 2012

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TyPod, Feb 25, 2011.

1. TyPod

2. partietraumatic

There are many gay football fans. I love football and all sports in general.

However, this doesn't seem to make sense to me. Unless they are planning on promoting gay rights at the matches, how are people going to know they're gay? Segregating them would only draw attention to them surely?

3. Danielle

Danielle Guest

So we want equality but also want separation.

Stupid.

4. maverick

I don't support this, I think it's almost reverse discrimination. Also, let's put all the gays in one place. THAT won't make them a target of violence or anything...*eyeroll*

Personally, as a sports fan, I wouldn't want "separate but equal" seating.

5. Just Adam

I have mental picture stadium 80,000 fans .... Then in one corner .... 300? Surrounded by 20 foot barbed wire fencing and riot police and snipers and guard dogs.

>.>

Umm no.

Why go to feel harassed ?

Just watch the tv and not give money to bigoted country.

6. partietraumatic

I really don't understand why they think the need for segregation is there. In my experience football fans are far more concerned with picking on the fans of the opposition team, than those who are supporting their team. Just go to the match, support Poland like any other Polish supporter, and you probably won't get any hassle.

Clearly it wouldn't be clever to bring rainbow flags etc. But i can say I have been to well over 100 football matches in my life and have never once felt like I am going to get picked on. It feels somewhat like this group of fans are making an issue where there doesn't need to be one. They are only going to get trouble if they actively identify themselves as gay football fans.

7. maverick

I don't see why people would feel the need to do this, other than to antagonize or provoke others. Being gay has nothing to do with football. Rainbow flags @ gay pride parade = appropriate. Rainbow flags @ soccer match = dumb.

8. partietraumatic

This is exactly my point. One of the advatages the gay community have over other minorities is that, should we feel the need, it is possible to go unnoticed. Frankly they should just go to watch the football and support their team. I don't understand why the need to identify themselves as gay is there anyway. As you say, they are going to watch football, not march for gay pride.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It IS important to understand that the culture of "sports fan" is significantly different in different countries. For instance, I took a guy visiting from Scotland to one of my indoor lacrosse matches. And he was really interested in the differences in the fans. The biggest one was the fact that people came from different cities to cheer the opposing team. They'd be given a bit of a razzing during the match, but afterwards, the hometown fans always buy them drinks. My friend said, "In my country, it's likely they would've gotten their asses kicked." There does seem to be more of a mob mentality among fans there, for whatever reason.

My main thought upon reading the article wasn't "there are gay soccer fans?" It was "I don't think anybody cares what makes you horny during the match so long as you're wearing the right colors."

Lex

10. Lebowski45

Haha :lol: being from Scotland I know where your friend is coming from, most people just have "good banter" like other sports fans around the world but there are definitely those that take it far too seriously and seem to possess an unnatural hatred for opposing sets of fans. Not an Old Firm game goes by without arrests being made, and domestic violence rises sharply on match days etc. Its kind of pathetic but there'll always be morons.

Anyway, back on the topic, what an absurd suggestion. Firstly, I really really hate when people seem to presume that because you're gay you can't like something. What does sexual orientation have to do with whether you like football or not??? I've been watching and loving football long before I even thought about being gay, and I still love it. It has absolutely nothing to do with what gender I'm physically attracted to. I have straight friends who detest the game. As a society we should be getting away from these silly little stereotypes. In my opinion being gay has no more bearing on my personality or hobbies than the colour of my eyes does.

What has being gay got to do with watching football? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. When I go to a football game I'm thinking about the upcoming game, the players, the tactics, the importance of the game, the general enjoyment to be had out of the occassion. I'm not thinking about my sexuality. In an age when people, gay and straight, are making great strides to try and promote equality for non-straight people why are people trying to undermine this by coming up with stupid ideas like this one? It seems to assume that "gays stick with gays" and "straights keep with straights". What a horrible, narrow minded viewpoint. The best way to counter homophobia is to demonstrate to people that you're just like them, you're just a normal person who happens to be gay, segregating yourself in this manner is not going to help.Its also counter productive in that you are singling yourself out. I didn't realise that you had to declare your sexuality on entering the stadium. Why not just turn up and enjoy the game, not as a gay person, or as a straight person, but as a football fan?

11. Porphyrogenitus

Exactly. Unless they're purposefully making themselves known, I can't think of anything you would normally do that could make them obviously noticable as gay at a soccer game. And if you are in real fear of being harrassed/attacked by idiots at games, it's hardly reprehensible to dial back anything that would distinguish you, for the duration of the event.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah umm...unless they I dunno...come to the competition in drag, I think they should be safe from harassment and violence >_>