1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposed bill may quiet conversation on homosexuality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.volunteertv.com/news/hea...tion_on_homosexuality__116694874.html?ref=874

2. This is starting to make me mad.

You know what? This isn't about what's appropriate for kids at all, it's about what adults want and they're using children as shields for their beliefs. If it's about the kids then the gays who don't back down are made to look like corruptors. Fan-fucking-tastic.

I feel sorry for those little boys and girls who have gay family or who may grow up and realize they themselves are gay. It's harder when you don't know. It's harder when it's a secret. And what about gay teachers? "You're allowed to talk about straight people only, sorry, gay isn't allowed in school."

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Don't Say Gay is a very apt name for this bill. I am ashamed of us, America.

3. roborama

this is just ridiculous do they see what theyre doing here? they are building a breeding ground for ignorance, hate, and shame. its really sad

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They need to teach homosexuality so that gay children don't commit suicide.

Shouldn't the government be protecting childrens' lives?

5. midwestblues

No, reality cannot step out of the way to accommodate your primitive mindset. Sorry.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Possibly one of the more inane bills of America...

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2011 at 08:26 PM ----------

I'm kinda proud with the amount of good comments aside from the Timba guy. The others are all very nice smart people :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. BlueDuck

I'm pretty sure you can have an "age appropriate" discussion about homosexuality with elementary school kids.... I mean, I learned about it when I was in 2nd grade or something.
    If schools cover it up, the kids will cover it up. And covering up your sexuality can only go down one, horrifying, path. It's like Austin said, kids need to learn about it to lower the suicide rate, and being that mass amounts of kids go to school to learn anyway...

"If we're talking about homosexuality, we are talking about specific acts that are going to be unhealthy for anybody to engage in outside of marriage."
    Yeah, just like whenever you talk about heterosexuality and not about marriage, that's dangerous. ??? How on earth is saying "Some people are gay, and it's not a bad thing" talking about "specific acts that are going to be unhealthy for anybody to engage in outside of marriage"?

ugh. They're grinding my gears.

8. maverick

People are born gay, so broaching the subject of homosexuality is pretty relevant at most ages when kids learn about romantic relationships. That is, theoretically, at the toddler age, when kids start to have "boyfriends" and "girlfriends" at daycare. :dry:

9. Aya McCabre

Kids learn about hetrosexuality from the second they're old enough to understand books and tv.... Why shouldn't that sort of story be age appropriate regardless of the gender of the characters?

10. FizzDurand

FizzDurand Guest

I Suppose im lucky to live in one of the most liberal parts of the world ... ( U.K ) but the way the american government handle such matters is purely to keep the peace over the majority and also because it suits them sometimes i wish i could have a gun and ... PEW !!!!

11. British Lad

British Lad Guest

(facepalm) this has to be one of the most twatie Ideas america has come up with so far. they teach it to SAVE THE CHILDREN, as long as there is hatred gay kids will kill there selfs, how is not teaching them that it is OK to be gay saving them, there in fact killing them. I think we should lock up the people who think it is a good idea, beside they are infact there helping active suicide.

12. flymetothemoon

So what about the kid who has two mommies or two daddies? Do they have to leave the room when we cover the unit on families? Because if they talk about their family, that would be the end of the world.

13. flymetothemoon

Just listened to the video and read the whole story, and the bill covers elementary AND middle school kids. How is it not age appropriate to talk about homosexuality with MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS who might be starting to discover that they ARE homosexual? It's only going to make them more likely to think there is something wrong with them...

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2011 at 04:01 PM ----------

I would agree with you. In fairness, my parents were careful about what I was allowed to watch on TV, but even still, I didn't know much at all about being gay until I was in college. It was never discussed in school because I went to Catholic school, and my parents never discussed it with us, so I didn't know it. The media didn't teach me about it at all. I had occasionally heard the word as I was involved in community theater, and I had a VERY basic understanding of what it was from context clues, but that was it.

14. ccdd

ccdd Guest

We had a similar law in the UK which covered all schools - it was called Section 28. What it actually said was that local authorities and things funded by them (eg schools) could not "promote homosexuality" and or teach homomosexuality as a "pretended family relationship". Whether it was or wasn't meant to stop the discussion of homosexuality in schools - it DID. In sex education I learnt all about masturbation, how to put on a condom, how to have sex - everything. Learnt about blow jobs, the lot. But when someone asked what being gay was, the teacher said it was against the law to discuss it. This law was eventually repealed in 2003. It was, however, in force the whole time I was in school and didn't stop me or anyone I know being gay. It just meant that we were isolated, ignorant, bullied, and prone to self-harm and depression. And anyway, talking about homosexuality doesn't mean you have to go into detail about different sex acts. KWIM? And I don't know about America, but here parents can often withdraw their children from sex education anyway (whether this should be allowed or not is a different debate).

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When the topic of sexuality is age appropriate, all human variations MUST be explained truthfully. I hope the AAP and other professional medical groups loudly protest such bullshit bills. http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/sexuality.cfm

We need to know the truth in school sex ed classes at puberty or sooner so we can understand what we are feeling since most of us don't hear the truth anywhere else.

16. Zontar

I clearly remember my first afternoon after coming back from pre-school. All my relatives asked me who my "girlfriend" was. I told them, then proceeded to tell them who my "boyfriend" was. I never had any feelings for either being such a young age, but I suppose that was an early sign. :lol:

17. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Do these people not understand the harm they are doing to these children?! How many kids have to commit suicide before these brainless bastards wake up? Makes me think they're hiding their own sexuality from themselves.

Ignorance is a disease. *sigh* Those people make me sick.

18. Ianthe

Hmm. Well, I'm an American, and I don't think I ever saw the word "clitoris" in any school material, K-12, so what do you expect? No discussion of sexual feelings or sexual pleasure. Also no condoms--don't give them any ideas, now! I think when I was in school, we were told what condoms were, and a whole LOT about STDs. (I think most of my sex-ed was about STDs, actually.) But condoms were not available, and we were not ever shown an actual condom--I would remember that. We were definitely not shown how to use one.

Forms of birth control that do not prevent the spread of disease were not discussed. Dental dams, which prevent the spread of disease but are not a form of birth control, were also not discussed, presumably because discussion of them would have required some discussion of the clitoris, and female sexual pleasure, which is a completely taboo subject. Also, it would require a discussion of oral sex, which is one of the "specific acts" they think should not be discussed. (It is also the only way many women achieve orgasm. But female orgasms are also not discussed.)

Of course, if you do not discuss oral sex, you cannot teach about disease transmission through oral sex, and how to avoid it. If you don't talk about anal sex, you can't talk about how it's easier to transmit disease by anal sex even then by vaginal sex, and how it is therefore very important to use a condom even though pregnancy is not possible.

Are you familiar with Bush's "abstinence only" sex-ed rules? Schools to receive federal funding could not teach any birth control or disease prevention, except for abstinence. This was a few years after I was out of high school, and continued until pretty recently--I think it's off the books now. But that's the country we're talking about.

So, the thing is, they really think that only very basic information should be taught at all. Vaginal intercourse in the missionary position, for the purpose of procreation, with no discussion of pleasure, at all. Sex should not be made to sound fun. You don't want to give them any ideas:eusa_naug--as if sexual desires and ideas do not arise naturally in the mind!

They concede that vaginal intercourse must be discussed only because it is necessary for understanding human reproduction. They feel that all other discussion of sexuality should be prohibited in schools. I am not exaggerating.

19. kwyjibo

Well said. God am I glad I live in the UK. :eusa_doh: