1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feasability of 2-Family Household

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mandarof, Feb 27, 2011.

1. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now that I can begin planning my future for the first time, I have started thinking about what I truly want in the future. A boyfriend with kids seems like an automatic. But since I do really like a sense of community and a larger family, I started wondering if two family households are possible/common? Basically me and my boyfriend plus a lesbian couple. I guess four kids would fit nicely into that equation.

Of course as you add more people to a household, there are more resources as well as more opportunities to reuse items and resources. I am roughly 3-10 years away from even thinking about actually starting a household of any kind, but this idea entered my mind and I would certainly like to get some thoughts on it. I guess it seems like you could build a nice house with two master bedrooms and an oversized kitchen, etc. Take the resources of four people into consideration during the construction and there are a lot of possibilities.

Possibilities for conflict are probably quadrupled. A couple already can develop conflicts and split. Now there would be two more people with more kids. It would probably be one of those longer term goals that would need to be carefully worked up to, in order to reduce the chance for conflicts. Of course if things got too bad then another couple could replace the one with issues.

It would offer both male and female figures, along with what could be an insanely stunning sense of community, basically having four parent figures.

How does this sound?

2. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Interesting concept. For me, at the moment, for some reason the idea of having a 'typical' family (albeit with two guys instead of a guy and girl) doesn't really excite me so I'm usually interested in hearing about other ways people do it.

Like you said, this could run into problems though I think. You'd have to have ground rules laid out in advance I think and make sure communication is excellent. Two person couples are hard enough to keep together it seems, four people would probably be very difficult. You'd have to agree on boundaries for the kids, would some kids be specifically yours and your partners or would all 'parents' have a say in their lives. Do all 'parents' visit the teachers, go to the school plays, etc.

3. starfish

What you mention is called an extended family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_family It is very common in many parts of the world.

Many western cultures (including the US) follow the nuclear family model. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_family

Is it possible to build an extended family in a culture that follows the nuclear family model? Yes, but it will be difficult to pull off long term. In extended family cultures there is a lot of societal pressure to not break away from the family. It is the exact oposite with the nuclear family model. You are expected to break away and form your own family. As we all know it can be difficult to overcome what society expects us to be.