1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matt Barkley: USC QB Faces Claims of Being Homophobic After Tweet

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Dan82

2. Mr.Pushover

People can be offended by his comment, but he does have a right to his opinion

3. Rikudo

America land where you can have your own opinion right?

Also pfft QBs are just nancy boys. I wouldn't take their opinions too serious.

4. RedState

This could be one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
    People are making a big "moulage" over... this? Seriously?
    And some people wonder why some in the gay community aren't taken seriously..SMH

5. Beachboi92

well i may get shit over it but last time i checked the people against gay marriage where not exactly the most accepting... (think tolerant versus accepting) and my opinion in general is that someone against it is uneducated on the subject.

I agree he should get a PR guy though, as a public figure posting shit like that has far more repercussions than the average person tweeting it. It is my opinion in general that if you are not educated on a controversial subject then you should not be fucking talking about it.

As a public figure i think he should be held to a different standard than other people because his actions have a much greater affect than regular people.

I also kind of think the whole "well hes just stating his opinion" thing is sort of just a cop out. If it is really just his opinion then he can keep it to himself and have all the opinions he wants. When you speak out about it you stop having an opinion and start advocating it imo and im sure if he decided to explain his comment he will go on about "i don't have problems with gay people i just think that the government recognizing their relationships is a sin against god" and people will listen to him.

I just think that if you have an anti-gay marriage stance you probably also have a number of other bias's and some level of discrimination in you that stems from being uneducated.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even I have to say this isn't some big deal. If some other person tweeted this, nothing would happen. Because it's a "celeb" (not really) it bursts at the seams with lovely media attention >_>

7. Ianthe

Of course he's allowed to tweet what he wants and express his opinion, whatever it is. Everybody else, including all those who passionately disagree with, and are offended by, his position are equally free to express their opinions. As they have been doing.

I do think it's good for people to respond strongly to anti-gay statements from celebrities. I don't give a crap about Matt Barkley's opinion, but it's likely that there's a young gay or bisexual kid somewhere who idolizes him.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True...I'm not saying celebs don't have a big impact, they do. I'm more just saying, I wish people didn't care so much. Plus to me he isn't much of a hero. I mean he only goes to USC. How about when he's actually in the NFL, then we can care. Of course I dunno how big college football is so how would I know why he's so important.

9. RedState

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And what is that suppose to mean? I've seen bigger at the Superbowl. :slight_smile:

11. Ianthe

For some people, college ball is much more important than the NFL. People often feel much closer to a local college team than they to their nearest NFL team.

So, a particular college team will have fewer fans than an NFL team, but a lot of the fans they have will be more dedicated and loyal to to the college team than they are to the NFL team.

Here in Oregon, Ducks and Beavers are way, way more important than anything in the NFL, and I think the Civil War is watched by at least as many people, locally, as the Superbowl. I know a lot of people who don't care at all about the Superbowl, who wouldn't miss the Civil War game for anything.

(I don't really care about football at all, but even I usually end up watching the Civil War.)

12. maverick

One comment summed it up pretty well for me - you can be expressing your "freedom of expression" and still manage to be an asshole bigot at the same time. One does not necessarily negate the other.

He has the right to his opinion, but other people have an equal right to chastise him about it. If your opinion is "Not all people are created equal" I'm allowed to have the opinion that you're a prejudiced moron.

Personally, I love it when people express their prejudices though...it's sort of nice that most jerks are self-identifying so you can avoid them outright.

13. Nodnarb

Yup. Depends on where you are from. Outside of the major metro areas and in states that don't have NFL teams, college football is bigger than the NFL. The most important sporting event of the year to most people in Iowa is the annual Cy-Hawk game between Iowa and Iowa State, and nothing else comes close. Husker football is like a religion to people in Nebraska (with Tom Osborne as their God). It's actually quite disturbing.

And USC is still one of the "elite" programs in CFB, despite their recent scandals and questionable coaching hires (Seriously, Lane Kiffin? WTF USC?!?). But yeah...I don't know why anybody cares what Matt Barkley has to say about anything.

14. maverick

All the South really cares about is the SEC, as far as I've been able to tell.

15. Mr.Pushover

This.. Is so true.

16. olides84

Hah, typical Trojan! He's not highly educated enough to realize that if he publicly tweets opinions bashing the rights of people, he will get some flack. Not surprising for the University of $poiled Children.

17. RaRa

Was that really necessary? <__<

Anyways, if he was at least nice to look at like most quarterbacks...I'd let it slide. But eww. :grin:

18. olides84

ah, you can probably guess where I went to school...it's just a rivalry thing and pretty tame as far as insults go. but all in fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Goethe

Went to school with him and have talked to him and he is truly one of the nicest, non-homophobic people I've met. He and has family have done so much for the local community as well as international communities, going to Africa and helping out villages over there, giving their time and money to them. He is VERY religious, creating a Christian fellowship for athletes at school and holding services where they would pray and "praise" during lunch. He was only expressing his beliefs and I hold nothing against him for doing so.

20. RedState

Ha! You silly Canadians just don't understand the Southeastern Conference :slight_smile: